DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Everyone,

My 10 month old Goldendoodle, Khaleesi, loves to love people with her mouth. It's been going on since she was about 5 months old. She doesn't bite hard, its seems more out of excitement and she'll grab whatever part of you she can, clothes, hands, arms, whatever. At first it helped to put something appropriate in her mouth like a toy or rawhide and now she'll even pick those things up if she sees them before she greets anyone. But she'll hold onto that toy and still try to grab you with her mouth (which is almost worse because she has to use her front teeth and it feels like a nip). 

When we turn around and ignore her, she'll bite you in the butt!

Is this something that she will just grow out of? She's the biggest love of a dog I've ever met, but I don't want her greeting people with her mouth.

Thanks,

Tara

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

:)  Same thing, different dog. We have all gone through this with teenage puppies. 

Do you have a trainer?  Not just a puppy class but are you going to an obedience class?   This can be corrected with age (maturity) and training.  You are not alone.  At least once a week, someone posts this same question.

It is just part of owning a beautiful puppy.  Do get more positive training and work with your dog daily.  With your love and guidance and age, it goes away.

Thanks Joanne. I took her through all the classes possible at our local petco. I'll look into getting a trainer, that's probably a great suggestion.

Tara

If she touches you with her teeth, say "ouch!" really loudly and high-pitched and leave the room.  If she follows, lock yourself in a bathroom for about 30 seconds.  Don't pay any attention to her unless she is being calm, not jumping on you nor biting you.  Rinse and repeat!

It worked wonders for us and curbed Luna's mouthiness.  She now has a VERY soft mouth and is extremely gentle :)

Love the name!! Game of thrones fan??  I would also suggest finding a trainer, and once you learn from the trainer, consistently work with Khaleesi for a minutes each day.  Like Joanne said, this is VERY common..we went through it too..it will get better!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've been researching dog trainers in my area all day. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service