DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Our doodle Nibbler is in good health and neutered at 6 months. He has been house trained since he was 5 months old, and rings a bell to go outside. For the most part, it's good, but he still occasionally pees inside the house. I would say it happens a few times a week, starting this last month. 

I'll describe 3 separate incidences to give background.

1. He was wet and dirty and wet on the bed without my approval so I told him no and he got off the bed, just to run in a circle and jump on again despite me saying no. So i scolded him and made him get off, then he walked to the living room. A minute later, I discovered him sitting beside the couch, directly under a fresh pile of pee on the couch cusion. When I scolded him, he looked at me in the eyes defiantly. Usually he'd act ashamed and bow his head and avoid eye contact, but this time, he just stared at me as I was scolding him

2. The boyfriend and I were playing with him. We sat across from each other in a hallway and threw a toy around while he'd chase it in the middle. When he got the toy and we took it away to keep throwing it, he chased it half way and started to pee right in front of us

3. My boyfriend and I came home from a long ( 2.5 weeks) vacation. I spent the first day working from home so I can be with Nibbler. I spent a lot of time playing with him during the day, which include a snuggle nap, a long walk, training sessions, and fetch. Then 15 minutes after my boyfriend comes home from work, he just out of nowhere, pees on the carpet. Right after that, he runs to the door and acts ashamed.

What is going on with my puppy? Sometimes I think he does it out of attention, or revenge, but he seems to do it too even when he gets alot of attention. I'm confused about his behaviour. Can anyone help explain it, and maybe suggest ways I can correct it?

(our method of dealing with the peeing has so far been pointing at the spot he peed and say no, then depending on the situation, we'd put him in time out, or straight up ignore him for awhile)

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like the last two were out of excitement. The only accidents mine had after months of being potty trained were when she really involved in play. That is pretty common, and some dogs have excitement urination even as adults. I don't believe they do it for attention or revenge, and I don't believe that scolding or ignoring are good solutions. If you were still in the midst of training I would say watch for signs and immediately take him outside, but it sounds like it only recently started happening. UTI maybe? 

• My suggestion would be to go back to the basics.   How would you handle a puppy that has accidents?   You gently say, NO, and rush outside to the potty spot, right. Take all clean up rags and place them in a potty spot in the yard to establish scent.  Scolding didnt work then and it wont now.    What I heard you say is everything but going out with the puppy.  I know it is so frustrating.but stay calm.  Start over.   
  • Another idea is that this is sudden. Why?   I would go to the vet and take a urine sample for analysis.   Does he have a bladder or kidney issue?  If my potty trained dog suddenly started doing this, I would be concerned.   He acts ashamed right afterward.  Sounds like he knows this isnt right and cant help himself.  Big red flag there!!   So, do go to the vet. 

To get a urine sample, use a soup ladle to catch at least a small sample.  

• Excitement Pee usually just piddles out. Is your dog actually squatting?  This would indicate urination and I would think the following would not apply- Excitement OR Submissive Urination.    Excitement pee and submissive pee are two different things.   Is your dog showing submissive behavior when you are scolding him?  Could be!    You yell> the dog shows remorse or fear> submissive peeing.    Common.   Your best bet would be to find a reward based training if you have a submissive urine issue.   On a side note-submissive urination has many reasons and it may surprise you one of the chief reasons is to show you respect.  Yes, respect and recognition to  your  superiority.  Most likely due to your disapproval of him.  So, you might just be causing the urination.    I will try to link you a discussion on this one.  .
  • Who watched this dog while you were gone?  Anything happen?  Are they positive dog-raising people or strict, firm dog watchers? 
  • Excitement Pee -not  to be confused with submissive urination.  My dog does this. Many of our dogs here do. It is a dog thing.   Let your dog out before anything exciting happens: visitors, ball playing in the house, as soon as you come home.  This helps a lot to alleviate accidents due to excitement peeing.   If you think about it, many humans cant laugh or watch a scary movie -anything exciting or they dribble in their pants. Same with dogs. Make sure that bladder is empty. Are you staying outside with him long enough?  Sometimes it takes a few minutes to empty the bladder completely

Hope this helps.  Going to look for the link Submissive vs. Excitement now. 

unfortunately I can't give credits to this article.  It was from an old post here on DK with no credit listed, but  it is a good article and one that needs repeated. 

Submissive Urination.

"Submissive wetting or urination is a normal way for dogs and puppies to demonstrate submissive behavior. Even a dog that is otherwise housetrained may leave dribbles and puddles of urine at your feet and on the floor when greeting you.

Submissive urination is the ultimate show of respect and deference for higher rank. It occurs frequently with young puppies who have not yet learned and perfected other social skills and means of showing respect. Submissive urination in adult dogs is usually a sign of insecurity. Often unsocialized and abused dogs will submissively urinate. Other dogs that engage in submissive urination may simply have not been shown that there are more acceptable ways to show respect, such as paw raising (shake hands) or hand licking (give a kiss).

Submissive urination may be present in overly sensitive or mistreated dogs because they feel the need to constantly apologize. This state is often caused by excessive or delayed punishment which frightens and confuses the dog without teaching him how to make amends. The dog resorts to the only way he knows to show respect and fear, by submissive urination.

When your dog submissively urinates, it is best to just ignore him. If you try to reassure him, he will think you are praising him for urinating and will urinate even more. If you scold him, he will feel an even greater need to apologize by urinating. Either reassurance or scolding will only make submissive urination worse.

Treatment of submissive urination must be directed towards building your dog's confidence and showing him other ways to demonstrate respect. The quickest way to accomplish this is by teaching your dog a few basic obedience exercises. A dog that can earn praise by obeying a simple routine of "Come here, sit, shake hands," will soon develop self esteem and confidence. A confident dog who can say, "Hello, Boss" by sitting and shaking hands does not feel the need to urinate at his owner's feet. "

There are many more helpful articles just type "submissive urination and or excitement peeing" in your search engine

Read more here: http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/need-advice-with-mickeys#i...

I wonder if there is some backsliding because whoever was looking after him while you were away was not as consistent as you were with regards to pottying?  Also is your dog a mini?  Small dogs notoriously take longer to reliably house break.  Peeing during play is also common.  I too would check for a UTI as Breanna suggested.  Joanne's advice about going back to basics and taking him to the spot he should be peeing when you catch him in the act is what I would do too.  I personally do not think that dogs are capable of being ashamed or vengeful.  I think they mostly try to understand what is expected of them and when they are unsure their behaviour or "look" reflects their uncertainty.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service