DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

This is my fourth week back to work, and my 4 month old Chloe is not adjusting well.  She has regressed in her training, and is just sometimes downright naughty-like they all can be I suppose.  I do play with her every night and she gets good exercise, since we live right by some ball fields that aren't being used right now.  I'm just getting a little discouraged.  Those of you with darling, sweet adult doodles-were yours naughty as pups?  I know I have to keep working hard at her training, but it's becoming REALLY hard!

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, very naughty! wait until she gets big enough to counter surf! I guess you just have to put up with it or tie her leash to your waist with her on the other end so you can watch her at all times....Puppyhood is hard but once you get through it, you will miss it. Just keep a constant eye on her. What are the sorts of bad things she does? Maybe I can help.
Probably the worst thing she does is jump and nip at my 8 year-old granddaughter, who is here most of the time. My gd tries to turn away, stand still, ignore but she is becoming afraid of Chloe. She also puppy bites my husband and I A LOT, pulling on our clothes, etc. She is TERRIBLE on the leash, and my trainer suggested a leader. I only started using it last night and of course she hated it (what dog wouldn't-lol) but I think it will help. She likes to play keep-away with things she knows we want to take away, like papers, shoes, etc. I know a lot of this is normal but we're going through a bad period now with everything!
Just keep doing the 'right' things in training. Ignore the naughty and praise and treat the good.
What is she doing that is so naughty?
Two key words with puppies is EXERCISE and TRAINING ....... lots and lots of both! Have you considered doggie day care for a day or two a week?
I am starting doggy day care this week for one day a week-might work up to 2 or 3.
Doggy day care saved us.................
You mention that you're back to work. How long during the day is Chloe alone, and where do you keep her? They're all a little "naughty" at that age and as Lucy & Sophie's Mom says need lots of training and exercise, but I'm wondering if she may be getting bored and frustrated during the day which is translating into some of the behavior you're seeing.
I am sure she is bored and frustrated. She is alone from about 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in a dog run outside.
I think you'll find that Daycare will help a lot. They get pretty tired out, and I find the next day they are very low key. With that as well as your continuing training and reinforcement of the positive behaviors, I think you should begin to see some better results. Good luck!
If she is not in daycare, I would consider getting a dog walker or going home during lunch. I still don't leave Peri for longer than 4-5 hours at a time. She needs her walks, even at 1 1/2.
I'm finding (with my 5 month old) that when he gets naughty, we do some training, then some frisbee throwing, then some treats in the Kong, then he will rest a while!! When he's naughty I think he just wants our attention and we try to direct it in a training way. However, when he won't stop the puppy biting, he goes for his timeout.
It seems like some puppies are mini devils. But honestly you can relax...your pup is TOTALLY NORMAL. There's nothing especially bad about little Chloe and most likely the nipping will subside on its own.

But I also have to say that unless you are a training expert (and even then I'd have my doubts) no pup is very well trained by 4 months. No pup is well trained by 4 months any more than any child is perfectly self-controlled and educated by age 2. It just doesn't happen by that age because they are far too easily distracted and don't have anywhere near the maturity to have made training 'stick' for good by then. What you're seeing isn't so much 'regression' but a puppy who is not yet DONE being trained.

That's the thing with doodle pups...they are pretty darn smart. So they learn what words like "sit" "stay" mean and can respond to commands in a way that can fool new owners into thinking they've got a 'trained' pup. But training is far more involved than teaching what words mean...and it takes more work than is possible to put in the time between 8 weeks to 4 months, My point is that at 4 months you're just getting started. Sign up for obedience classes from beginners through "advanced" with a trainer that has multiple obedience titles on his/her dogs to show they are awesome at what they do.

It'll get better...just keep obedience training at the forefront of your plans with Chloe and that wonderful adult dog will be yours very soon!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service