DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I was asked a question today, and I do not know the answer.I hope you all can help answer it.
Can Labradoodles be kept outside or do they have to be house dogs? I keep mine in the house. I live in Texas and it is to hot to keep any dog outside as for as I am concerned,besides they are part of the family and I would not put a family member out in the yard to live. My Labradoodles would be miserable away from us.

Views: 6132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's an interesting question. I think they are just like any other dog in this matter. BEST off indoors =) But I don't think there is any breed or mix that just is one way or the other -- I think some people have a misconception that certain breeds are "outdoors" dogs and others are "indoors" dogs. Yes some breeds have higher work/exercise needs, but they are all animals so one could argue they could all be outdoor dogs.

My personal opinion is that all dogs are social beings and need companionship and often an 'outside' dog doesn't get that. Not saying they CAN'T, but it's harder I think.

My dogs are part of my family and I can't imagine keeping them outdoors only...I would rarely get to enjoy them. IF someone could give their dog attention, play, exercise, and mental stimulation daily AND keep them outdoors with shelter that protected from the elements and crazy weather and protected the dog from other animals/intruders...that would be totally okay in my opinion. NOT what I would want, but perfectly acceptable and not wrong. But they are sooo cute...and if you want their coat long and luxurious it sure would be hard to keep that way outdoors!
I must agree totally!! I don't like to see ANY dog outside all of the time. They ARE my family..... although I would agree to have my husband stay outside!! LOL - just kidding of course!!
"...they could manage, but their hearts would break."
Ann, that is one of the truest and most beautiful sentences I have heard relating to companion animals. I wish every pet owner could have that sentence painted on their wall.
I can't imagine leaving my babies outside ALL the time:(
It is my understanding that the lack of undercoat on fleece-coated doodles leaves them with very little protection against the elements and they are not suited to living outside. Like Ann, I would not sell to someone planning to keep their dog outside...it's too sad to think about knowing how much our doodles love us. If the dog is a family pet I don't even understand why people would bother to get one. The family might have the best intentions, but IMHO, the dog would be way too easy to ignore.
I'm up there with you Janie. My Labradoodles are my Companions so they are inside wth me. One of the reasons for me choosing Labradoodles was the non shedding or smelling coats so I could have inside dogs. I personally (from a pet owner point of view and not a breeder or vet) think they would strive with the contact of an inside dog rather than being outside all the time.
Yes, I am so pleased about the non-smelling. I never knew how much my Shih-tzu smelled until we adopted our LD Giada. Is it the poodele in them, does anyone know?
Thule doesn't smell...but Rosco...Whooo! He can stink things up fast (mostly his beard tho) several days after his bath. Actually any time we're gone for longer than a few days we come back to one doggy smelling house. But with three BIG dogs I suppose one can't help it. Thank goodness for our Ozone machine to clear up the air quickly. I've recently bought up several air freshener plug in cartridges too...
Hi Janie:
The answer is that no companion dog should be living outside...labradoodle, German Shepherd, shih tzu, you name it. Even working border collies are kept in kennels when they are not working. I know the "outside dog" mentality is alive and well in certain parts of the country, but you would have a hard time finding any reputable breeder of any breed that would knowingly sell a puppy to someone who plans to have it living outdoors. There is no rescue group or shelter that would permit it, for sure. Most dogs bred for companionship/service thrive on human contact & interaction. The real question is, why would this person even want a doodle if they want to keep it outside? I personally think anyone who is that concerned about dirt/mess/smells, etc. shouldn't get a dog at all.
It baffles me with doodles though...their major appeal is that cute, low shedding, cuddly look, smarts, etc...WHY would someone WANT them as an outdoors only dog? Why not get a lab that SHEDS at that point? Not that labs don't deserve indoor companionship..but you know what I mean...

This reminds me of when my friend got her first puppy (a poodle mix of unknown ancestry from rescue) a little over a year ago. The pups lived outside at the foster home (they had shelter, etc...were cared for), but the foster mom referred to the pups as "outdoor dogs" and my friend thought that was what they WERE not merely a description of their past living arrangements. I had to explain to her that WE get to decide if a dog is outside or inside--it's not an individual dog TRAIT. I had to convince her that the only way to get her pup house trained was to have it live indoors, crate trained, etc. My education worked!
I agree. I would never sale to someone who was going to keep them outside.
NO! They can not. It is my own personal feelings on the issue.
I know that when I got Jordan part of the question/history form stated that the puppies would be family members and not left outside to live.
Out side only dogs make me sad/mad, they are never taken proper care of(again my opinion). Dogs are pack animals. They need their pack. I can see if you have a large dog like a Malamute or a Sheppard that they would choose to be out side most of the time, I am just saying bring them in for love and shelter. Out side only dogs do not get enough love, and they most likely have behavior problems that could be cured if the owner spent some time and money on training. If you can afford an LD or a GD you can afford to train your dog.
OK I am done. I feel very strongly about outside only dogs.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service