DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My labradoodle is scared of kids! It's so embarrassing because all the kids in our neighborhood, where I walk him, want to pat him but he acts so silly and trys to hid and back up as far as possible from them when they come over. We don't have any young kids in our family so he is not used to kids. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on getting rid of this behavior?

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Labradoodle has the same problem. He has never been around kids and now if a kid is around he barks and runs. I have actually had a child ask me if he could pet him and I had to say no. I felt horrible, but when Koda gets scared and feels cornered who knows what he'll do. I'm not sure how to get rid of the behavior other than having him around kids so he gets used to them and showing him they aren't a threat. I don't know how to do that though if there aren't kids around to do this with....hence my problem.

I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!!
I would think the best way is to desensitize your labradoodle to kids. I would keep bringing him around them and make sure you don't play into the fear. (i.e. "awwww...it's ok..." followed with affection!) Just be calm and lead him. I think any park with a playground is a great place to walk him or an athletic field. I would just keep walking by the kids and do it enough so he can check them out and see what they are all about.
Yes, keep going around kids. The worst thing you could do is avoid them, then he will never get over the fear. Have his favorite treat with you ready to hand out to all the kids to give him every time you're out.

Let the kids in your area know what you are doing, it will make them feel important. Also, when he gets better, maybe hire an older child to walk him once in a while to keep him socializing with kids:)

GL:)
You're welcome. I forgot to suggest that at first if he won't let the kids near him, have them just toss the treat toward him as you pass by. Eventually he will work up to taking the treat from them. Please let me know how he does:)

GL:)
Our Max was also afraid of kids, when my daughter married in July we also got a 3 yr old granddaughter in the deal. Whenever Tinsley came over Max would run out of the room or go get under the table. I started letting her give him treats everytime she came over, at first he would not take them from her so I had her just toss them gently to him and it wasn't long before he was greeting her at the door, doing circles around her licking her, she was his new best friend. The treats did the trick, she calls them dessert and both of our doodles now know the word dessert!!!
I would start with a 'trained' child. he/she should be quiet, calm, make no eye contact and approach gradually. NOT rush over and start patting bthe top of the head.

maybe have your dog do some obedience near the child who is calm/not looking at dog--getting him to focus on obedience 1st. then working closer..rewarding for calm behavior. child should have an AMAZINGLY SMELLY AND DELICIOUS treat that doggy can NOT miss...so he is drawn to go near.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service