DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My heart is heavy and I am crying. I received an e-mail from one of my adoptive parents saying her 18-month-old puppy was killed by a car two days ago. The pup ran through his electric fence and into a car. When people ask me about electric fences, I try hard to discourage them from using them. There are too many ways a puppy/dog can get hurt or killed. Dogs need a solid barrier to protect them. Period. I feel terrible and wish I had been louder expressing my feelings about electric fences. I will never forget that puppy's little face and chipper nature. This is a sad morning.

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry to hear about that poor baby and my heart goes out to his family.

Cealeach will not even stay in our yard with a 5' chain link fence and must be on a leash at all times.

We found out the hard way that she can leap the fence and almost lost her to being hit by a car when she ran down the road to the highway.

I wish that these companies would tell people that these electric "fences" do not work with puppies and most very large dog breeds.

My heart also goes out to you. I know exactly how it feels to have bred a beautiful puppy and have its new family call you to tell you the puppy is dead.

The little guy will alwyas live in your heart and hopefully, his death can teach people NOT to use those so called "fences".

hugs,
Gail
Very sad. I can't even imagine how that would feel to loose one of my "babies" like that :(
And imagine writing from a place of pain and having a few Doodle Kisses' members giving the discussion a 1 star rating.
Thank you, Ann--anyway we can protect these loving creatures.
I am so sorry to hear about such and awful thing! Electric Fences scare me to death. I would just die if anything happened to any of my babies. Stories like this just rip your heart out. Very very sad.
what an awful thing to happen to any animal. i cant tell you how many times my 2 babies run across the street to greet the nabhors. Electric Fences seemed too good to be true to me how can one little wire stop a big dog?
One issue is that some neighborhoods do not allow physical fences so to have some protection invisible fences are the only choice. You have to have a different mind set for an invisible fence though. We had a wonderful black lab who learned with one tone where her boundaries were. She never even had to get the little shock correction which made me so happy! But you are correct in saying that you can't monitor who or what comes into your yard. So I NEVER left her outside when I was away from home. She was only outside when I was home but it allowed us to play ball and she could chew her bones and I knew she would never leave her boundary. Kids could even call her from outside her area and she would NOT leave her allowed space. Labs were one of the hardest to train in that they are so rambunctious. But they are also very smart so they learn very quickly where their space is. I would have preferred a regular fence but was not allowed by our homeowners association to have one.
Sally - thank you for this posting. An electric fence is better than no fence. Owner's just have to be aware. This is the case by me too. Fergie was trained very early on this - actually I started with the hand held e-collar that I personally controlled at about 4 months. She's 8 months and doesn't even go anywhere near the border (stays about 20' away - even if I'm across it and call her. I will never go away and leave her out there though. Fergie is a very calm dog but she did climb a 4' fence at my friends house to get to me when she knew I was on the other side. Nothing is fool proof. Owner's need to watch their dogs. Many neighborhoods don't allow fences so don't rule out an electric fence. Again, it's better than no fence.
Patty I'm so sorry to hear of your tragedy....There is nothing that can anyone can say that will quell the pain we feel when we lose a beloved animal...Especially when it's a senseless death......

A friend of mine lost not one but two beloved dogs the very same way......She lives on a very busy street......I had spoken with her about the unreliability of the electric fence after the first tragedy...sadly she tried it again with dog number two and within 2 months exactly the same thing happened....The most horrible thing about it is that she actually has her entire property fenced in!....but for "convenience" she wants her driveway gate left open at all times and insists on using the electric fence to contain her dogs....I told her point blank not to get another dog until she is prepared to take her "self absorbed, lazy ass conveniently down the driveway" to close the gate!!!...You have my heartfelt sympathy......
Bless you, my friend, for your outspoken ways and your ability to add humor along with it!
Patty, I am so very sorry for your loss of this little one so dear, and to the family. And to the driver in this tragic happening. This little one, who's life was so tragically cut short, may he have peace. ..... our neighbor (around the block) has a very big lab who always barrels through his efence to say hi when we walk. The mom is always apologetic and friendly. She knows we love to visit with Big Rosco and luckily for them the traffic is minimal and travels at a very slow mph, so their danger is pretty low. The thing that really bothers me is Rosco shaking his head passing through "Awww Rosco No, wait" and this always makes me feel so sad for him, but he is happy to see us.

Again, I am so very sorry.

Debbie
I am so sorry...Its very sad.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service