DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Communicating with Your Dog: A Humane Approach to Dog Training by Ted Baer

I originally got this book from the library when Cass was a puppy. I at first dismissed it because it was a small book that looked like it was for kids. After reading it briefly, I had to have my own copy. It contains only great information... no fluff! This book along with the "Command Performance" system (see Adina's review here) transformed our training.

The thing I like best about this book is that it provides a specific vocabulary to use when training your dog. It makes it easy for the dog to understand what is being asked of it. It is a progressive system that starts with the easiest / most important vocabulary your dog needs to know (it's name) and then proceeds through 20 Magic Words. The training system builds on the words learned before and adds new commands only as those are mastered. With only those first 20 magic words completed, your dog can do almost anything!

But the book continues to increase your dogs knowledge and vocabulary until you can have a dog like the authors that knows over 200 distinct commands and actionable words.

I love the concept of a reduced vocabulary language. ALL people all that communicate with the dog use this language. It clears up so many times where your dog would be confused by an ambiguous command.

The other thing I love about this vocabulary is that it can be used with any training system that you prefer. Love clicker? Great! This training vocabulary and order will make your clicker training way better. Prefer traditional training? This language and order of learning is still the best. If you train with treats... it's STILL a great system!

Check it out. Preview the book here.

Read the Amazon reviews here: Amazon.com

It's a fairly small book and an easy read but simply packed to the gills with great advice.

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This book is featured in this months Bark. I plan on buying it.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service