DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

(I tried to post this once, and don't know what happened so if this is a duplicate, I'm sorry).

We are on our breeders list for a puppy, but have been exploring the idea of asking  for an older female (4) who has had litters and is being retired. We have 2 older dogs (10,9) at home along with 4 ragdolls who are very mellow.  

How do you think it would be to take an adult and mix her in with our household?  How would the adjustment be for her, and could she adjust and be happy, after living with the breeder for 4 years?

What are the pros and cons for this situation?  Thanks.

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jack was standoffish with most of my fosters as well. I had only one female, and he was friendlier with her than with the males. Same thing as Jake...two days before she was adopted, he decided he liked playing "tug" with her. I really believe that he missed her a little the first night she was gone.

If I remember correctly, Sheri had an interesting situation with her fosters. Her girls were not crazy about the males, but with the one female, one of Sheri's girls, I think Lucy, decided that she liked playing with the foster girl better than her sister.

It does depend on the dogs, but there's a different dynamic when bringing in a second dog then there is when you bring in a third. The second dog relates to the first dog one-on-one. A third dog (or fourth, etc) is dealing with a pack.

You are right, Karen.  We introduced the adult Clancy to THREE other dogs in our home.  Our 'alpha' dog just gave him a look and Clancy dropped a toy at his feet.  Our smaller doodle, Ned, had a tiff with him - only one and from then on Clancy deferred to Ned.  The conflict between Clancy and our other dog was over the last to positions in the pack.  They ended up just fine with each other, although our Springer will growl if he has a high value toy and Clancy walks by.

I should clarify. The breeder has several girls that are retired and she has kept them all. In our initial conversations she mentioned, as an aside, she might be looking for a home for one of her special girls, but she would see.

Before I even broach the subject with her I wanted to have a feel for the pros and cons. I have not yet met the breeder or the retired mom, but she is a breeder that I've heard wonderful things about, including on this forum. I've noticed all the labradoodle breeders use a lot of guardian homes which seems to work well.. I mention this because it is obvious the females that do live with her are one of the family.and are very loved. I don't think it can be easy for any breeder to rehome one of their own, and I would like to believe she would do so only if it somehow benefited her dog.

We have raised many puppies, and while it is hard work, it is rewarding to watch them grow from babies. On the other hand we have also rescued a puppy farm dog, and a show dog that would rather play fetch and they were older. My concern with the older dog is "would she learn to be happy with us"? We have 4 ragdoll cats who think they are dogs, and they would love a new puppy and I know a puppy would fit right in because they are young enough to adapt. So I guess it comes down to what is best for all the animals. Maybe a puppy would better fit into our pack, but maybe the older dog would be just right. I am rambling now, but did not want the forum to think the breeder is just wantonly giving up one of her dogs.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that point. It does make me feel better :) It sounds like you are really thinking about all of the pros and cons and will make the right decision for your family. You are lucky to have cats that accept your dogs. Our rescued cat HATES our dogs and will not come near them and it has been four years. Good luck!!

Our adult rescue adores us - really. 

Lots of us have adopted adult doodles, and they become just as bonded to us as the doodles that people purchased as puppies. Sometimes more so. :-)

I actually believe it is the 'more so,' Karen, but you and I have rescues which might be a bit different.   I really think J would be as happy as can be with an adult doodle if she feels the adult has the right temperament for her family.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service