DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

UPDATE:

Just heard from surgeon - surgery was successful, he's awake now and resting comfortably. All went smoothly. They removed the spleen with two masses - it will take 5-7 days for results from the lab. He said he thinks it's a 50/50 chance now of cancer. a lot better odds than where we were a few weeks ago.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind. We thought Winston had hemangiosarcoma (see here) but now we aren't so sure.

We've consulted with a great oncologist - best in the region. Last week Tuesday we took him in and things looked pretty grim. Winston's Thrombocytopenia (a secondary condition to the tumor on his spleen, which causes internal bleeding due to low platelets in the blood) was acting up. He had zero platelets and only 18% red blood cells, so was seriously anemic and had started some small internal bleeds that the doc thought was going to get worse. He told us Winston was too far advanced and would likely bleed out in the coming days or else his heart would give out. He offered us a solution that would keep him going to the weekend - a low dose shot of chemo and tripled his cyclosporine medication. He said it was a shot in the dark, he was doubtful it would work but it might help for a few days.

We were obviously devastated. We cancelled everything and took off the next day for the cottage to spend his last few days in comfort. He was really weak and indeed showing signs of internal bleeding. 

But then suddenly it all stopped. He perked up. We were surprised but hopeful. He slowly started eating again. His stools were normal-ish again. The red spots all around his body disappeared. His gums turned pink again. By the end of the weekend he was playing with the ball again and was eating full meals and then some. Tuesday took him in for another blood test and we were all blown away. Whatever the oncologist did completely turned him around. His platelets shot up well into normal and his red blood cell count was just below normal.

After discussing with the oncologist and regular vet yesterday we decided to bring him in for another ultrasound to check what's going on - best radiologist in the area and the only one the Oncologist trusts. Based on the results, we will decide to do surgery or not to remove the spleen. Because as it turns out, after all of this, the actual tumor might still be benign. The Oncologist said it's about a 40% chance that it's benign. It's a gamble but I'm willing to take those odds.

So Winston is currently on route to Montreal, chauffeured by my wonderful boyfriend who's been a star and taking care of Winston (and me) during this difficult time. I'm waiting anxiously for the results of the ultrasound but if he goes to surgery we will go back tomorrow to visit, and stay the night in a hotel so we can *hopefully* take him home on Saturday to recover. 

Winston needs all your Thoughts and Prayers (TAPS) today!

Here he is resting and recovering by the fire at the cottage.

Views: 562

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I most definitely will!

I cannot imagine your excitement!  I know he will be smothered with kisses and love - just give him an extra hug from me and I am hoping for the best results ever!!!!  Hugs to you and Winston!

Praying for the very best outcome possible!!!!     I'm so happy to hear this good news.   Kisses to Winston.

Just now reading this.  So happy to see that Mr. Winston has a chance.  (and that there seems to be an awesome dog loving young man in your life, lol).   Interested in the treatment that the Dr did as Chemo is one of the next steps they are talking about for my Niece because they can't seem to keep her platelet count up.  Did they talk about if the possibility of removing the spleen would help his platelet issue?  They removed my Nieces spleen back when she was a teenager as that was one of the things that could possibly help.  Didn't in her case but was just curious if they think this same way with dogs?  Will be watching for more updates and bio results.  Fingers crossed here for the next Thanksgiving miracle.  Hugs girl!

Hi, yes they say the growth on his spleen was causing his immune system to overreact and eat up all his platelets. The chemo suppresses the immune system so stops it from killing the platelets. He bounced back within a few days of the low dose chemo he was given, enough that he could handle the operation. It remains to be seen if he will go back to normal now. We will likely eventually ween him off the cyclosporine and prednisone and see how he reacts. ...this is all assuming the growth isn't cancer, then who knows. At least there was no sign it had spread if it was.

Sending prayers for the best possible outcome!! Doodle hugs to all!

Henry and I send our love and prayers for Winston's recovery and sending you and the amazing boyfriend prayers for strength and support!

Thinking of you and of Winston, Sherri--glad that the news has been positive.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service