DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Last night in the midst of having a few laughs on DK and with Quincy sitting next to me for his favorite rump scratch, I felt a lump and a pop and I suddenly had a handful of bloody drainage. A small cyst that I had been keeping an eye on was suddenly larger and chose that moment to break. YUK! I got up early this morning and made an appt with the vet, the earliest one they had was 6pm this evening. We just got back from the vet where Quincy has the cyst incised and drained of the remaining gunk. He was an absolute angel at the vet and the only anaesthetic required was a handful of liver treats. I cleaned the mess of blood off his fur and cleansed it with the hibitane solution the vet gave us, he is now on antibiotics as well. Quincy has also been doing a lot of scratching and had some very dry scaly skin under his chin. The vet gave us a medication to help with the itching from the cyst which the vet said will also work for the dry skin. The med is a prednisone and I am a little concerned because from what I can remember, prednisone suppresses the immune system and that is not what we need when we are taking antibiotics for a possible infection. Does anyone have any experience with this and should I give them to him now or wait till he finishes the antibiotics. I didn't really think of these things until I was driving home as I was a little stressed and more traumatized than Quincy was. The vet said to put a cone on him to keep him from licking but I'm hoping that my foray into my son's underwear drawer will work without having to resort to that.

Quincy is now resting on the floor with DH sitting beside him giving him some extra TLC and feeling sorry for him.

No swimming until the area is all healed, and Quincy was enjoying his duck retreiving so much. :<(

UPDATE: The boxers are working well except for the 2 am acrobatics around the bed trying to get them off. The area already looks a lot better this morning. Thank you everyone for the well wishes and he really does rock those boxers.

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Poor Quincy!  (and poor you too for that mess!)  And LOVE the boxers!

Charlie gets skin infections at times and the vet prescribes both an antibiotic for the infection and a steroid (Temeril-P) which I believe is prednisone  (for the itching) at the same time.  We haven't had a problem with taking both together.  Except that Charlie has side effects from the steroid of becoming incontinent so I only give him about 1/2 to 1/4 of the usual dose and try to get him off of it as soon as possible.  But as long as Quincy doesn't have side effects it should be ok.  That is my vets usual course of action too.

I forgot about the peeing often when on prednisone thing, thank you so much for reminding me.
Don't know if my son will be quite so amused when he sees the doodle wearing his boxers.
He will say "What, next are you gonna give him my room and my bed?" lol. Anyways I love the boxers.
Oh Donna and Quincy! So sorry for you both. Those cysts can be brutal. Our old Golden had many and it can be quite an ordeal. I'm glad you were able to get him in for treatment today and he will be well sooner than you think. Love the photos! Qunice... you are dashing in your brother's undies.
Thank you, I was lucky the vet clinic had evening office hours today and I didn't have to wait till Monday.
Awwwwww! That had to have been scary!! Glad all is well.

Poor Quincy, I hope he's better soon.

I would follow the vet's advice on the meds. With steroids, it's very important that you follow the dosage schedule exactly.

I hope Quincy feels better!...love him in his boxers!
Donna, I am sorry all this happened today for you and Quincy. What a good dog he was at the vet!! Love the underwear and hope he feels better.
Thanks Laurie, he was really good at the vet and he spent his time waiting socializing with a little boy dog named "Fudge".
I have never heard of any other dog named Fudge. Our Fudge is a girl, but people always think she is a boy. Hope Quincy did ok in his underwear last night.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service