DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Were looking to adopt! Hopefully another doodle, maybe a mini? Somewhere between maybe 1 and 6? Currently have an 8yo 85lbs Chocolate Labradoodle who has never met a stranger (a guard dog he is not). I know there is a link to a site on one of the pages here but we fail one requirement in that I have a 6 yo son. Like me he was born into a house with a dog and learned very early acceptable behavior.

If anyone has any leads, we would appreciate it. With previous adoption experience, many references including our vet, we'll be more than happy to provide what ever information that would be required.

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One suggestion is to ask your vet to keep you in mind if one of his clients needs to re-home their dog. I'd also look for a reputable breeder to see if they have might have a dog to re-home. I'd do lots of checking to make sure that dog had been socialized, house-broken etc. and was kid friendly.  With a child as young a yours I'd be very leery of adopting a dog from an unknown source because that dog may not be child friendly.

And people trying to rehome their dogs on Craig's List and elsewhere lie like rugs. They all lie, no matter how much you beg them to be honest about any and all issues. 

I spoke to our vet this morning, as Wed is his normal doggy day care day where he gets to romp and play with his 4 legged friends.  The process would be from a reputable rescue or adoption.  It would also need to include multiple meet and greets with both my dog and son.

A lot of rescues around here just won't let families with young kids adopt at all.  We have a 5.5 year old daughter and now a baby, so it's puppies for us for the next 10 years or so whenever we get a new pup :p

Yeah, most private breed specific rescues have pretty strict age limitations, and since a large percentage of doodles are relinquished by their owners due to issues with kids in the first place, (that includes the usual "too busy" issues, and swallowing socks, not just bad behavior)  the rescues are typically looking for older kids or no kids at all. 

One of my neighbors doodles has had 3 intestinal surgeries to remove socks... all of which happened when he was a puppy and his growth was stunted as a result they think since they had to remove some intestine each time.  Anytime Riley is untethered upstairs the kids rooms and laundry spaces have their doors firmly closed:p Their other doodle was predicted to be 50 lbs and is over 100 lbs lol.

I don't know about his growth being stunted, but that would definitely cause malabsorption issues and probably IBD. We hear of a lot of dogs (not just doodles) being given up because they are facing a second or third intestinal surgery and the family is still in debt from the last one and can't afford it. I just can't figure out why it is so difficult for some people to close doors, or make sure socks and other other clothing is put away. Such a shame for an animal to lose his home (and sometimes, his life) over something so easily prevented. 

I mean Riley has grabbed a few things and eaten them so fast it made our heads spin.  One time she ate the spoon part off a plastic baby spoon so fast we couldn't grab it from her.... thankfully it came out the other end in small pieces.  Our daughter is old enough to be wary of playing with small stuff when the dog is loose too, we usually just keep her tethered or in a separate space if DD wants to play with legos or something.

Accidents happen. Jasper has gotten hold of a couple of things, too. But you would think that after the first $3000 emergency surgery to remove a sock from a dog's gut, that particular lesson would have been learned, lol. 

Yeah I was pretty surprised that they had it happen 3 times.  Apparently they have a lot of disposable income and they weren't worried enough to be super careful?  Our daughter has been using almost exclusively metal spoons since the spoon incident lol.  She prefers them anyway so it's a win win but we run out of teaspoons awfully quickly.

Go to the dollar store (do they have those in Canada?) and buy a bunch of cheap stainless steel spoons. That's what we did, and my grandson was a whole lot older than your daughter; he just has a bad habit of tossing the cutlery into the trash along with the garbage when he clears his plate, lol. 

Yeah I might have to do that... or send my mom on a shopping mission she likes an excuse to go shopping:p

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service