DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

When Tara came to live with us we bought a 24 inch crate with divider thinking this would be more than adequate for her expected size as a mini.  Now that she is nearing 2 years old she still sleeps in her crate at night with the door closed in our bedroom.  Although she is only 19 pounds she is really a "long body" style doodle and I am concerned that she does not have enough space in the crate at night.  Here are the measurements:

Tara- 26 inches from nose to rear laying flat

Crate-24 inches

Pan in bottom of crate-22 inches

Crate measured diagonally -29 inches

So you can see she can't really stretch her legs out. Sometimes I look in there and she is laying on her back with her legs up in the air which is probably the only way she can stretch them out. It looks really uncomfortable to me!!

We tried experimenting with leaving the crate door open but she just goes back in the crate by morning. We started closing the door again after while (long story) so she is back to being closed in the crate all night again.

For those of you who have adult doodles still in crates for extended periods during the day or night...what is your crate size vs dog size?? Do I need to upgrade to the next bigger size or do dogs prefer a tight fit?  Will dogs who are accustomed to a crate return to it because of habit or a feeling of safety even though it is uncomfortable?

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This sounds exactly like our house! My DH is 6'4" and wears a size 14 shoe! When Tara was tiny I had nightmares about him squishing her!! Even in the daytime he is kind of oblivious to what is going on 6 feet beneath his eyes!! When she was a puppy I definitely slept better with her in the crate at night while he was up "doing whatever!" But even now he could do some major damage if he stepped on her in just the wrong way :(

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service