DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Chad and I just found out that we will be relocating from southern ontario to British Columbia for Chad's work, there is alot of planning to do because we leave in about a month! we are both very excited but I am also panicking a bit, because we are going to have to drive out, with Louie and the cat. the trip will take us 3-4 days with stops at night.
Louie is not a very good traveller and the longest he has ever been in the car is about 3 hours, I am worried about him coping with such a long drive. We will be driving all day with some pee breaks for all. I have spoken with friends and they all suggest things like Gravol or Benadryl to "knock him out" (I would prefer not to do this to him), I am nervous about drugging him especially for 3-4 days running, but don't want him to be stressed, he is a ball of nerves in the car. Is there anything natural I can try?
any advise would be greatly appreciated! ( my mind has eased a little already just writing this. lol)
thanks Alex, Chad and Louie

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've tried Rescue Remedy with Cayenne. I wouldn't say it worked well but I wouldn't say we gave it a great go either.

On our last trip, we were planning 4 to 6 hours of driving, not something Cayenne is fond of. She, on occasion, gets sick. There doesn't seem to be any predictability to it. The advice from the vet: light meal the night before, light meal in the morning and bendadryl (50 mg) 50# dog, 1/2 hour before leaving.

As for flying, Cayenne arrived by plane from the breeder. We discussed whether we should drive the 9 hours to get her and drive back, or have her fly. For her, we are sure that flying was the right choice. It was a 3 hour ordeal all told and she did fine. I don't know if she was drugged up. So the question might be, which mode of transportation would be less stressful and for how long?
Thanks for all the great advise everyone, I am taking it all on board, and will also consult my vet. thanks again.I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Our trainer has been doing well at getting positive results with this product called DAP collars. All natural, I think.

http://www.entirelypets.com/dapcollar.html

It is used in the classes she has for the shy/fearful dog and suggested for other dogs who have stressful situations. She also teaches and uses a TTouch therapy http://www.ttouch.com/ which I have learned from her and use for my shy fearful dog and use the message for when the others get stressed (I have been taking our Brianna to the Onc/vets which is not at all nice, very long and stressful and it has helped).......I like both and have the DAP collar on my fearful dog and think it has helped.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service