DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Chloe is 14 wks. now and is very aggressive with the other pups in obedience training.  She plays regularly with a neighbor's dog, and another family member's two dogs-and they're all older.  They tolerate a lot from her-the jumping, biting, etc.  Our instructor allows a few min. of play time after class, and she is by far the most aggressive dog in there.  She particularly likes a lab (bigger than her), and even though he throws his weight around and is getting more aggressive with her, she is relentless with the biting until he's under the chairs!  She also cornered a smaller dog, whose owners see Chloe as a bully.  I know she's trying to play, but I'm afraid if she is this aggessive now-what will she be like when she's older?  I wonder if part of it, too, is that she just hates being on the leash for an hour around all these other puppies, and not being able to play.  Anyway, I was hoping for some insight/advice. 

With us, she is well- behaved for the most part-but sometimes gets crazy with the nipping/jumping.  If we are in the house I will put her in time-out, and this helps.  When we are outside it's a little more tricky.  We usually stop and ignore- and that usually gets her to back off.  If she persists, we ask her to sit and give her a treat if she complies.  When does the nipping get better?!!

Thanks  :)

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chloe is still a pretty young puppy. I think the "supervised" group of dogs at your obedience class is a great way for the other dogs to socialize her on "doggie manners". They have their own way of communicating what is acceptable behavior. So that should go a long way in teaching her how she should be playing with other dogs. As for the nipping/jumping, it sounds like you're doing a great job already with the "time outs" inside, and stopping and then treating when she stops her nipping outside. Have you joined the "Puppy Madness" group? You'll find lots of great information there. This is a really common behavior that most of us have faced with our puppies.
Samantha was the same way but interestly enough, hasn't had interest in other dogs since she found her passion - playing ball!
I think what made her like that as a puppy was playing with older dogs that DID tolerate her obnoxious behavior because she was a puppy. Just my thought - maybe she shouldn't play with older dogs until she is better at play with puppies. Our puppy school had a Saturday puppy play time - kept them them separate by how they play. Samantha learned that there were others that played just as hard as she did and didn't particularly like it. I think she learned how to play more appropriately.
For us, yes the nipping stopped but with lots of work on my part.
But IMO I wouldn't treat her when she sits because she is nipping. She is learning that nipping + sit = treat. The nipping is getting her a treat.
As my trainer friend told me this is a crucial time in a pup's training life - they learn the most through the first 4 months.
Sounds like you are doing a great job!! Keep it up - she will learn that nipping gives her nothing but a time out from play.
Keep us posted on things progress!!!
Naaaa. I say it is healthy puppy play. Find another puppy who is not afraid and can play like she does and your dog will be so happy.
She is normal - Peri was exactly like this. Continue to train and socialize her. She will figure out how to play better with others and the nipping/jumping will improve (if you train!).
Hunter is so opposite of an Alpha dog - she is a total WUSS. When we went to puppy class if another dog looked at her she layed on her back and showed her belly. She is still very sumbissive around other dogs but still loves to play with them. I do wish that she had a little more "Alpha" in her like Chloe because I worry that if another dog is mean to her she won't be able to defend herself. However, I am dealing with an 8-year-old redhead who is WAY to agreesive on the soccer field - if only I could balance the two out......
Thanks so much for all of the good feedback! We just finished her immunizations yesterday and I took her to the dog park this morning. VERY interesting! She was GREAT with the other dogs. I really think that being on the leash for an hour, with those other puppies soooo close and sooo wanting to play with them-it kind of sends her over the top. Today at the park she definitely met her match-a lab/schnauzer mix about the same age as her, although smaller. It's so interesting watching how they learn.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service