DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just received this e-mail from a doodle meet up group I belong to in NYC. This sounds like a good opportunity to help educate people about goldendoodles and any misconceptions there may be.

The e-mail is below:

I work on the program Dogs 101, a series for Animal Planet. We
are currently researching stories on the Goldendoodle breed and
I thought you might be able to help. Specifically, we're
interested in folks who have Goldendoodles with some
interesting, unique, or even wacky story about them. Has a
couple met because of their Goldendoodle? Does someone bring
their Goldendoodle to their place of work?

I'm wondering whether any stories may come to mind.
Please let me know if you think of anything
as we have a deadline approaching on this particular breed.

For your reference, here is some information about our program:

DOGS 101 is the television encyclopedia of dog breeds. Each
episode explores the history, purpose, temperament, amazing
accomplishments, and curious facts about the most popular dog
breeds in the world. A crucial theme of the series is the
powerful love, the intense emotional bond that forms between
dogs and their humans. Using canine experts, owners and
narration, DOGS 101 focuses on the three basic elements that
make each dog breed unique; history, physical characteristics
and the human connection—all highlighted with a simple rating
system to evaluate the dog in several clear categories. The
show is full of simple clean graphics that highlight incredible
facts about dogs that even seasoned owners will find amazing.

To find out more information about us, you can go to our
website at:
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/dogs-101/
Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,

Sivan Ilamathi
Somerville, MA 02144
(617) 629-2200 x 290
silamathi@powderhouse.net

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jane...I watch Dogs 101 frequently.....I know that the whole point of the show is to educate and promote responsible dog ownership by encouaging viewers to research a breed before jumping into a purchase or adoption...and the show really achieves this in an entertaining way...

Just curious though....the show focuses on AKC recognized breeds...Why suddenly devote an entire show to a mutt?....No matter what anyone may tell you, Labradoodles and Goldendoodles are NOT breeds....Is it reasonable to assume that Dogs 101 will be devoting a show to Schnoodles and Cockapoos and Pit mixes and Shepherd mixes etc. also?....I don't mean to be negative ...but devoting a show to doodles is really not serving anyone except the breeders and the puppy mills......

Unless one is going to do a show addressing "designer dog hype"....and perhaps address some of the serious issues associated with "Doodle Madness" (for ex: puppy mills...indescriminate breeding, the hypo-allergenic myth etc.) I really don't see any point to devoting an entire show to Goldendoodles....Perhaps we can persuade them to also consider asking people for their not so positive experiences as well?.....Again...not trying to be a kill-joy....Just being responsible...: )
I, for one , would hate to see this planet suddenly without these wonderful creatures, be they mutts, or hybrids or whatever. The "madness" of puppy mills and pet shops that profit from them is appalling; but to deny that Doodles are here to stay is not going to help. Why not educate people about these wonderful, loving, wacky critters.

I have had various types of dogs all my life, chihuahuas, German Shepherds, mixes, mutts, standard poodles and now we are charged with the care of a Golden Doodle who is proving to be the most challenging of all the dogs we have ever lived with. Her antics have had us both laughing and crying. We look forward to every minute we spend with her.
Hi Sally....I'm the biggest fan of doodles (I have two at this time)...so much so that I devote a very large part of my life to doodle rescue and to education.....It's bad enough that every dog moron on the planet wants a doodle because of the hype and all of the misinformation about them being hypo-allergenic etc. but to promote them further is in my opinion is dangerous and potentially damaging to their future and the prospect of them ever truly being accepted and recognized as an actual "breed".........I really for the life of me do not understand "doodle enthusiasts" and their thinking when it comes to this!...For example: The Portuguese Water Dog enthusiasts are APPALLED that the Obamas chose to adopt a PWD....as would any other breed specific enthusiasts!...Why?...because they KNOW that the mills and disreputable back yard breeders will now start pumping them out to keep up with supply and demand! ....but the minute that it was announced that the Obamas were considering adopting a doodle?..WELL ...there they were in droves!...Doodle People!.......Campaigning for the Obamas to get one!.......Insanity!

Statistically there are more first time dog owners with doodles than any other type of breed or mix and that it purely because of marketing!.....People just run out and buy one without even researching because they have been sold a bill of goods about them being "THE PERFECT DOG".........The reality is that these dogs are high maintenence....Doodle ownership is not to be taken lightly...Frankly?... I go out of my way to NOT encourage people to get one!.....I personally don't want every shmuck on the planet to have a doodle!...Sorry but I don't!......

There are already way too many disreputable breeders out there as it is profiting from the hype!...It really does not serve the "breed" or preserve and protect it's possible perfection by encouraging the whole world to run out and get one.....

My point is that you will NOT see a Dogs 101 episode devoted to any other mix...WHY contribute to the hype?.....Why not instead EDUCATE the general public instead?
I would also like to ask...Why Goldendoodles?......They are an American made designer dog....They have only been bred since the late 1990's......At least the Australian Labradoodle has a shot at recognition because they have been trying to perfect an actual breed standard for close to 30 years........and even that standard is questionable..They still to this day do not breed "true".....
I think you should do the honors Jane as it is your discussion...Send Sivan Ilamathi the link!...lol
Why not Goldendoodles? Regarding Doodles not being a "breed" give me a list of a dozen of the most popular dogs in the US and I bet most if not all of them were at one time mutts. The German Shepard was developed by breeding various herding and farm dogs. The Golden Retriever was a combination of a wavy coated retriever and a water spaniel. The Lab was bred from a St. John's Water Dog and a Newfoundland. Need I continue? At one time, those were all mutts too? So what is the difference?
I really don't understand why people are so offended by the term "mutt" .....Due to inbreeding and over breeding of pedigree dogs especially in the US, mutts are generally healthier and have better temperments than many purebreed dogs. I'm proud to have a mutt and am personally not offended in the least when the term is applied to my own dogs.
It's not so much the word mutt, but the way in which it's said. It's almost always said in a negative way and is used by many anti-doodle people.
I call my labradoodles poodle-mutts and doodle-mutts and sometimes mutts. I think the 'offensive' part depends on the context. It CAN be used in a derogatory way to imply that doodles are inferiour or wrong or what have you.

You know how there are racial slurs (not many) that if used by an outsider are 'derogatory' and if used by someone of the race/culture in question the same word is okay? I think it is the same with 'mutt'...we can call our dogs mutts because to us it is not a bad thing and we LOVE that about them. But someone else turning up their nose and rolling their eyes and muttering 'mutt' is insulting because of the implied sentiments...not the word itself...cuz mutt is a fact when it comes to doodles. Mutt also usually conjures up a dog of unknown background...or 'Heinz 57' :)
Exactly!!! Well said!
Oh And I have to add

Mutt: A dog of unknown parentage/lineage.
Hybrid: A mix of known lineage.

Any dog is not a "mutt" just because it is a mix. Doodles are not Mutts! LOL!
Well said! LOL

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service