DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Answer Back from Petplan! Petplan, Petplan, Petplan.............UPDATE to previous discussion

As many of you know that were involved with my last discussion, I concluded it by saying I would be writing a letter to Petplan. I have also written Healthy Paws, but have not heard back from them. Here is that discussion.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/pet-plan-insurance

Carly called back from Petplan to discuss my recent letter and since I was not home, I had to call her back. The toll free number is 1-866-467-3875.  In my letter, I explained that I belonged to a dog website with over 15,000 members and some of us were very unhappy with the recent changes brought on by the new underwriters. I told them many of us were getting less coverage for much higher premiums and were thinking about changing and also mentioned that we have many discussions about Pet insurance on our website.

When I called back, Carly was on vacation, so I spoke with Deidre. She said they had to change underwriters because the old underwriters were going to raise the deductible PER CONDITION to $1000 for every policy. Petplan knew this would be unmanageable for most people and chose to look for new underwriters. They are aware that the new higher than average increased premiums are not a plus for Petplan, but feel the broader range of coverage, more options, and ability to now offer an annual deductible (must be approved) make up for it. The letter we have all gotten at renewal time is just an example of what kind of coverage you can get, but they do work with everyone individually to come up with a policy that meets your needs. 

The premium are based on age, breed, and location. I also asked why Poodle mixes are generally cheaper than Doodles, and she said that is because (for example) a Labradoodle would be insured for risks associated with both Labs and Poodles, whereas a Poodle Mix would be insured for risks associated with just a Poodle because the other part of the mix is unknown. She did say Poodles run higher than Doodles, but don't quote me on that one, because I heard one thing, but my notes are unclear.

So, that is the scoop and just another thing to help people who are trying to make the decision about Petplan.  I will update about Healthy Paws when I get an answer.

Views: 813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, that didn't really help. It kind of justifies PetPlans position but that's about it. Frankly for a much cheaper policy I would consider a high annual deduction, like $1000, since I am now paying $1200+ for my two. I will have to investigate before my next renewal.

So far, knock on wood, I have never had a claim for over $1000, so I feel like I would be paying for nothing. However, I guess we are all buying insurance just in case something catastrophic happens. 

Thanks for the update Laurie! I talked with a Petplan CSR for quite a while recently. He offered me many options for Tara but It seemed like his goal was to keep the premium near the current premium with less concern about the coverage. On top of that, we got the letter from  PetPlan for Amber's coverage and her premium has doubled.  We are going to switch them both to Healthy Paws. We can get better coverage for the same or lower premiums. 

The fellow I talked with a Petplan was eager to sign us up for a policy while we were talking. I'll bet they lose a lot of customers over this change. I really hate to leave Petplan, we've been very happy with their service, but we just can't justify these huge increases in premiums.

BTW, I'm signing Tara up as a Poodle mix because there was not a trace of Lab in her genetic test! LOL

Good thinking!

I bet they lose a lot of customers, too. I have always liked Petplan, so it's a shame. They got right back to me by calling and then following up with an email. I have not heard back from Healthy Paws. Another option is to look into something called Care Credit. Yes, it is a charge card, but would allow people to pay over time if something really awful happened and would cost nothing if you never had to use it. Just a thought.

How would that be better than just a regular credit card for those who couldn't pay immediately?
I think it is for those that can't get a credit card? But I may be wrong??

I don't think that is the case, but I could be wrong. I have just seen the brochures at the pet ER and different Vets. I guess I am not an expert. LOL

Probably is just the same, although I think they have plans where you don't pay interest during the promotional period. I guess it gives you some time to pay for something unexpected. 

I suspect you would at least pay as much as with a. Credit card eventually.

Hokum.....Yes, probably :) 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service