DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I searched the discussions about Antlerz and didn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

We are looking at getting some Antlerz for Buddy to help with his chewing,  We have the Bully sticks but he seems to go through them quickly!  I read about the Antlerz and it seems like the way to go. 

My husband is worried that Buddy might try to swallow the entire thing if he gets frustrated with chewing and nothing is coming off.  Has any one out there had any problems with the Antlerz and your dog being able to break off any or just swallow it whole?

Buddy just had he 4 month visit to the vet and he is 15 pounds, so I was thinking of the medium size, but maybe the large would be better.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holly LOVES her antler! I thought she would also get sick of it because she's able to quickly tear up most other chew toys but I was wrong. She's had one large antler for almost two months and she chews on it all of the time. It's wore down a little bit but she isn't able to break off pieces. She never gets bored with it, and it's way too big for her to try and swallow. Also they're supposed to be a good source of calcium and clean the teeth, so I think you should try them. As for size, I'd get medium just so it will last longer. Hope this helps!
Also, deer antlers are harder and less easily broken than elk antlers; they are also more expensive.
I have heard (from my local specialty store) that you shouldn't give them antlers until their adult teeth are in. They are so hard that they can break their puppy teeth. If all of Buddy's teeth have already fallen out and his new teeth are in and ready to go then absolutely get an antler, if not, then stick to the bully sticks until they come in. :)
Thanks! I didn't even think of that. He just started losing teeth about a week or so ago.
You're welcome! :) If he just started losing teeth then I would wait at least another month before you try an antler. :)
My two chew the antlers and have gnawed them down a bit but they have not broken off pieces. I don't think they would swallow them. At least they haven't to date and I don't think they could.
My dogs love antlers. I like elk antlers better than deers, simply because they are larger and seems to be harder to gnaw them down - last longer. The deer one got smaller and smaller rather quickly, and I was afraid that they are going to swallow and choke on it, so once it was small enough to fit in their mouth, I throw it away. They do not have odor, anf they really enjoy chewing on them.
They are great. Pepsi gnaws on them all the time with no problem, I just buy fairly large ones. The nice thing is they can stay outside in the yard without getting soggy and he will go out and chew them to his heart's content, which makes him stop chewing my shrubs and mouthing rocks. I do keep an eye on them to make sure they don't wear down too much, but haven't had any chunks bitten off or anything like that. And I buy fairly large ones too.
Just make sure you watch Buddy while he chews - don't leave him alone, especially at first so you see how he does with them. Peri is obsessed....
My Guinness is a very aggressive chewer. He has destroyed more "indestructible" toys than I could count. Antlerz are the first thing that he hasn't been able to destroy...and he loves them. He's only 16 pounds, but I still get him the large ones. We originally had the elk but he was able to break of little pieces which left sharp points. So we now buy the deer antlers and that doesn't happen. I keep four or five around the house. My two Doods like to carry them around as they go room to room. If they're in my room in the evening while I'm watching TV, they'll go and find all the antlers in other parts of the house and bring them into my bedroom where they "pile them up". When they get down to about 2 -3 inches I throw them out...but that takes a few weeks.
Rosie my LD has food allergies so rawhide and most chews are not for her. She also is a very powerful chewer. Since she eats only venison and potato dog food I asked my Vet if she thought they would be OK and she said try them. Rosie is crazy about them! She can chew a medium one down in 2-3 days so I have to watch her and now get the bigger ones. Her favorite part is the marrow so I usually get the split ones. Only draw back is she will chew them to a point and make her mouth bleed so I do watch her and use sandpaper to smooth down the sharp points. I get both the deer and the elk.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service