DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Everyone

I am looking for a puppy and felt sure I wanted a Labradoodle, probably an Australian, but a friend says she knows several and that they are hyper.  I don't want a nutty dog and so am sadly having second thoughts.  She also said that an English Goldendoodle is going to be more mellow.  Now I am completely confused.  If I do go with the English Goldenddoodle, can anyone recommend a good breeder.  I live in Northern California, but am willing to travel.  I am very committed to finding a responsible breeder, not a puppy mill.

Thanks!

Sheila

Views: 6719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would call it very smart playful happy dogs. Yes they can be full of energy. I will not lie but they are so smart, it can be very easily toned down because of their intelligence with training. A couple of liver treats and a couple of hours of training and all they want to do is be happy.
I have an 8 month old female English goldendoodle and she's a wonderful dog. She's very energetic and playful but is not hyper...has never chewed anything she shouldn't (has a toy basket that she goes and picks things from when she wants to play), she never jumps on people or gets nippy. She's such an easy going and happy little soul, we love her.
I chose her breeder because the stud she uses is an English retriever and they are generally calmer by nature than the Golden retriever. I did not want a "bonkers" dog. That is why your friend probably recommended the English goldendoodle. Just choose your breeder carefully....by people's comments it sounds like there's lots of calm Labradoodles and goldendoodles out there as well. Good reputable breeders will match you with a pup that they feel is the personality/ energy level that you're looking for.
Our Millie is about 41 lbs now, a wonderful size!

We got Frankie Baby our goldendoodle about 4 years ago. We found the breeder through a friend who had gotten their golden there. We know two other goldens from the same male and female. All three are entirely different from each other. What I've observed is that dogs acquire characteristics of their owner. Hyper owner hyper dog. Certainly not always the case. Frankie is a terrific lap dog on one hand (I can often be found on the couch too!) on the other hand because he's so smart he can be stubborn. Me too! Stubborn that is. [My breeder] produces amazing Labra and Golden- doodles. She's in mid-California.

*Breeder name removed by admin.

Hi Linda

Thanks for your reply.  We live in Northern California- would you mind sending me the name of your breeder?

Thank you!

Sheila

I know of a very good breeder who produces very even tempered English Goldendoodles if you want to email me - crhundley@comcast.net

Charlotte

I am curious to know what type of behaviour people consider to be nutty or hyper? My girl is 6 months old and she is past out on the couch next to me right now. At any minute she could get up and act up for me to play with her. She may try doing things (some bad) to get my attention. I think though... What else is supposed to do? Most labradoodles like to keep busy especially when they are young. She is like having another 2 yr old but I feel it's my responsibility to teach her what is acceptable in our home. They are VERY smart and they try to test their boundaries when they are young. You have to be prepared for that. It is a battle of the wills. Like a child she has her bads days and good days. It is work, no doubt. You will get what you put into it no matter which you choose.

I haven't read any of the responses. I will after I write my take on this question.

I have an English f1b Goldendoodle who I would call HYPER.  A better phrase might be forever young.  He is always Happy, Playful, excited for life, and the most entertainment I have ever had from an animal.  He consumes our days and keeps me young.  He has a Peter Pan attitude~ forever  young.

He is slowing down now at the age of 4.5 years.  He does settle if we do, but if we are up, he is with us full energy. Come to think about it though, my labs never slowed down until 3 years though anyway. 

It is all in the way you look at things .  This could be a challenge or a welcome.   He is never boring.  I think the key is to have the dog trained.   You may welcome the energy if it can be controlled. If you can establish some harmony with all this energy.  

He has been the best addition to our household.  I love not having the couch potato canine that I thought I needed when I looked for a dog.   He keeps me active and young.  He sees life as full and passes that on to me daily.  So much to do, so much to see. Let's go conquer the day!

Remember these dogs may be cute, but by nature, these are sporting dogs. They do require someone who takes them out, likes exercise, and keeps them stimulated. 

Hi, there. My golden doodle is a wonderful, mellow boy. 2.5 years old, but he has his nutty moments. He needs exercise. He loves playing with his red ball. And, we took him to 18 months of obedience school. But, in general he would be considered mellow. We purchased Harry from a responsible breeder, told her we had several young grand kids, and she suggested Harry. The most mellow (also happened to be the largest) boy of the litter. He is a great dog -- a great, goofy dog, and at almost three has a lot of puppy left in him.

But, he's a dog. It's a commitment. I can't imagine our lives without him, and we are considering getting another.

Good luck.

Deborah in Virginia

Attachments:

He adorable, Deborah!

Thanks

Sheila

I met a woman in the park who insisted that the difference between Labradoodle and Goldendoodle was size - oh then since mine sat still she was happy to see that my Goldendoodle was calmer than the Labradoodles..... ahem...... oh, and why are they all black? So much misinformation and confusion.

Think fingerprints - individuals.  My pup came from a litter of ten, she was the calmest of the bunch and also the smallest. Nobody wanted the little standard with all the hair - gadzooks - there were ears in heaven the day I prayed for her!  Some of her littermates are totall busy bodies and others are mellow, mid range activity level.  My girl came from an uber mellow GR mom and an even more mellow poodle - wow, I won - but she still gets the zoomies now and then and still can be stubborn. 

I would never turn to a friend for advice on choosing my dog - sorry, all my friends know why = do your research and listen to your gut.  Take your time.

Our 'Hershey' is a Mini multigen ALD.  She is very intuitive, smart, friendly, healthy, part clown/part devil, greets guests with a tail that wags so hard her whole butt shakes, then she brings the guest one of her toys as a gift.  If another dog is hungry she  moves over and shares her bowl of food.  Her coat is silky and easy to manage with one good brushing a week, even with the length we keep it at.  As a puppy none of us got scratched by her sharp baby teeth, she has a soft mouth.  Hershey loves playing ball and playing with the water hose.  She's not afraid of fireworks or jackhammers.  Hershey got her CGC certificate at 1.5 yrs old.

Puppy socialization is very important the first four months.  Good breeders give their puppys Temperament Tests before they go to their new homes. 

Wishing you happy puppy hunting.

Lucy Rasmussen is definitely the person you want to talk to and she is right there near you.  As for the hyper ALDs, I would say yes they are more hyper than other doodles, but also smaller.  Of course, I think all the doodles are getting smaller these days because most people do not want such large dogs as roommates.  My labradoodle was 105 pounds, the goldendoodle is 85-90 pounds, and the ALD is 50 pounds.  Don't give up!  It may take a little research, but you will find the right dog for you.  My suggestion would be a smaller goldendoodle, and most are smaller than mine.  Do you live in an apartment or condo?  Or do you have a house with an area for them to run and play outdoors?  You have to consider all of that.  Give me your e-mail and I will forward the Smilebox from the romp in San Jose last week.  I guess we need to be friends before you can post a message to me, so let's be friends.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service