DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice and see if what I am going through with Charlie is common. Charlie is now 7 months old and he seems to have forgotten all of his training. He no longer comes when called, he spills his water bowl after he is done eating, he will no longer come out of his crate when it's time for his walk, etc.

He really appears to be acting up. Is this common that at 7-8 months the puppy no longer responds to commands and starts to act out? Does anybody have any thoughts on how to deal with this stage for Charlie?

Thank you.

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, he's a teenager :)  Just keep up with the training and it will pass in a few months.  

Yes common.  A big reason why I think major training with commands before this age is mostly not that helpful.  You just have to restart/continue training in a more strict way and he'll come out of this stage an awesome dog!

Oh man! I thought I had successfully trained him. I think the two most annoying things are him refusing to get out of his crate in the morning and him not responding to the come command.

The training you have done has familiarized Charlie with the meaning of the command words. Although he is in a rebellious stage of development, he will return to the obedient dog you are wanting as you continue to reinforce the training you have done and expand on his repertoire of commands. Patience and consistency will win out. Good luck and be sure to update us as you go through this with him. 

Training is never 'done' by 7 months :-)  They are just more compliant before that!  I don't know what type of training you are doing, but don't give any commands unless you are prepared to enforce them.

This is the rebellious stage - LOL.  Myla started around six months - up to that point, we were so impressed with everything she was doing.  For example, she would "sit" before we would put her food bowl down, it even got to the point where we didn't have to say "sit" and then all of a sudden she would just stand there waiting for her food, tail wagging, even after I said "sit" so I just turned around and put the bowl of food on the counter and walked away.  She followed me and I ignored her.  Fifteen minutes later I got her bowl and she didn't sit again so I left it on the counter and she didn't get fed until her dinner meal.  The next day she did sit but every once in a while she still stands and looks at me out of the corner of her eye - I refuse to say "sit" and if she doesn't, the food goes away.  She's just testing me, I'm sure.  The funniest thing though was when we were kayaking.  When we took her kayaking, she would always jump in the kayak when we told her to.  At six months, she refused to jump in the kayak (we were on a beach, heading back to the campsite and she didn't want to leave).  We tried coaxing and she just ignored us so we said "Ok, see ya Myla" and paddled away from shore.  She immediately ran to the shore and started barking and when we turned around and pulled up beside her, she jumped in and we have never had a problem since! 

Charlie is just testing you.  The important thing is to be consistant with the training and don't give in to him.  If he won't get out of his crate, leave him and make sure you do something fun so he will come out on his own to see what you're doing.  As J & Luna said, it will pass!  Good luck!

I had an interesting conversation with a policeman regarding training.  He told me that females did not enter training until 12 months and males 14-15 months.  His explanation was they were not ready for serious training (beyond basic commands) any earlier as they were not mature/focused enough.   

Teen time! Lots of good advice already, I will just add - Hang in there! 

:-)  My puppy is named Charlie too!  Every dog trainers and friends that owns dogs have warned me about this 'teenage phase", which can last any where from 7 months to a year and half.  Mine is only 13 weeks but I'm already dreading it.  I've been told the teenage phase is normal and after that you're suppose to magically get this perfect dog (assume you've done your prior trainings right. lol)

I suppose there are perfect dogs out there, but I would not count on it for all times in all situations!  And if you one does not "magically appear" my guess it is not because you have not tried hard training!  But, you will love your Charlie and will make your way with him and him with you, loving each other along the (sometimes a tad rocky) way!  

I appreciate all the advice.  I am going to continue with strict reward based training.  

Ugh.  No brilliant advice to offer; only support as Lupin is doing the same sort of stuff.  It was like a switch flipped once she turned 6mos old.....she doesn't come when called and she "talks" back.  Total teenager 'tude going on!  Sometimes you just have to laugh b/c DANG!  ;-) 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service