DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

....Over The River and Through The Woods...To Grandmother's House We Go......    My daughter and SIL came for Sunday dinner with the new baby yesterday.    I was so excited to have them visit Grammy for the first time since his birth on the 23rd.   I was also excited to have Banjo meet his new future best bud.

Unfortunately things didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped.   My daughter didn't want Banjo close to the baby and definitely didn't want him to lick the baby.   He got a couple of "sniffs" in but clearly wanted to "explore".    I understand my daughter's reluctance to have a dog licking her infant.   I would have been the same way.    My instinct tells me that if she would have let me bring the baby to Banjo's level and let him sniff and lick, just as he does when people come to the house, he would have lost interest and "moved on".    As it turned out we ended up leashing him and he spent the whole visit clearly wanting to explore the new addition.    He isn't a "barker", but he did bark several times out of frustration. I could almost hear him saying "Just let me near him....I just want to get to know him"!    Mommy and Daddy kept remarking at how "loud" he was....baby was blissfully oblivious.   

So, I'm feeling disappointed that we didn't have a smoother intro and wondering what I could/should have done to facilitate a better first meeting.

I plan to talk to my daughter about allowing Banjo (totally supervised) to sniff and lick and get it out of his system on the next visit.  I'll be equipped with wash cloths to "clean up" the doggie licks.  Do you think it's wrong to allow this?    

I'm interested to hear what others have done in this situation.  

Views: 789

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Sue!! You do make some very good points :)

Sorry the first visit didn't go as you had hoped, Carol. I would have been just as eager as you to get the two of them together! I guess their relationship will have to grow in increments according to your DD's comfort level! But you KNOW it WILL happen!! :)

And if not,  well, my original offer still stands...

Thanks Ricki, it's nice to know you always have my back.   ; -)

You know I'm here for ya Carol!

My wife Reese and i just had a baby on halloween - willow has been very cautious around Merritt. Last night we let her get her first "free" interaction with Merritt. Willow is still very much a puppy so my wife was pretty nervous. It went something like this:

Reese wasn't too excited when the sniffing turned into big licks, willow was pretty surprised when I pulled her away, and I don't think Merritt had a clue anything even happened.

Willow ended up sharing a consolation cigar with me to celebrate her new sister and all was well.

That is so sweet and I'm sure Willow enjoyed the cigar as much or more than she did the baby. Congratulations on your new little daughter.

So sweet....and what lovely names.....both Merritt and Willow.   It looks like Willow is going to do just fine with your new baby daughter.     I spent today with my grandson and when I got home as I was snuggling and greeting Banjo he kept sticking his nose down inside my jacket....looking for Baby Aidan!  

So sweet! Looks like it went pretty well for a first meeting! Congrats to you and Reese on your new daughter and to Willow on her new sissy!!

Congratulations! Merritt is beautiful and Willow is a sweet doodle for so kindly welcoming her home. They will be such friends!

Whenever I hear about babies and dogs, I think of this picture/caption....

Awwww.....I love this, Kimmy!

OMD.....This is adorable....what a wonderful image to begin my day with!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service