DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Here is an odd question, but I need to get a new car and am also waiting for the arrival of my new fantastic Standard English Goldendoodle (YAY!!).  So here is my question - what kind of car is working or not for a dog that size?  Do I need a small SUV (I am thinking for his crate?) or just a roomy hatchback?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks doodle community!!

Views: 1108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yeah, great question. We have a Ford Freestyle and it definitely works for us.  I actually got this car for the dogs when we got our last (most recent) labradoodle.  Before that, I had a Mercury Cougar and loved its sportiness, but it was basically a commute car and not a dog car.  We have the added problem of many trips to the beach and problems keeping the car cleaned up.  So we got the Freestyle and my husband fixed up the back section with a dog crate (taken apart) that lined the front and sides for the dog area.  It fit two large doodles comfortably.  Hondo really missed the Cougar because he always would ride "shotgun" and loved being right there in the front with me.  However, no room for the second dog.  We also lined the floor with a bed liner for a pickup truck for it to be easy to clean up after trips to the beach and elsewhere that they could pick up things on their coats.  For longer trips, we made a custom pad with memory foam and covered with fake lambswool that is very easy to take in and out (and to clean).  When the puppy was little we just put his travel crate in the back area and there was room for his crate and another doodle.  As he became older and larger, he was also free in the car.  They share the area beautifully and the puppy could not get anything out of the side storage areas to chew.  They are not tethered in the back but they are secure and could not be a flying missle (sp?)  inside the car.  We have also added a third large doodle at times and they adjust to three large dogs in that area.  When we open the back of the car, they jump right in.  Plenty of area in the little storage bins for their collars, leashes, water, combs and brushes, etc.  Hope this answers your questions.  And definitely get a leather interior!  They are so much easier to clean up.  We also have all leather in the house for the same reason, easy to clean and dog friendly.

So much great info - thanks! 

I think any car would work in terms of doodles but I used to have a jeep and now I drive a sedan. I miss the cargo space in my jeep. It gets so frustrating trying to fit large stuff into my sedan. Also... I have a soft (almost suede) like perforated leather which I would not recommend for doodles. I always cover the back seat with a towel but wish I had regular smooth leather.
Have fun choosing your car!!! Love the new car smell! :)

So glad you posted this Sheila, our Libby is two and we are in the process of trying to decide which car would be best for her too!  Looking forward to the comments;0

Speaking of interior, black is a nightmare!  The black leather is great, you can just wipe off the muddy paw prints...but black shows everything...the only part of Baker that sheds is his tail...long, feathery, white hairs that stick like crazy to the carpeted areas.  When the kids are snacking in the car or the dogs are gnawing on a yak chew, my interior looks like the inside of a garbage truck...

I agree!! our explorer was black/grey and awful!! Our Expedition is tan... so much nicer. 

We have two very large dogs and they both fit great in our Ford Expedition.  Of course so did the 6+ foot bookcase and the golfbag and the Angel Trumpet Tree I had in the back of the car yesterday. 

I agree with the comments made about determining your family needs vs. what type of car to get.  Just remember when you test drive to sit and/or ride in the back seat.  When my kids were young I failed to see how much room was in the back of a car before I purchased it and we had to trade up much sooner than I would have liked.  THank goodness I'm blonde and have THAT excuse!

My expedition has almost paid for itself already!! I fit a dinning room set in the back and then went back for the hutch!!! :)  I love it and the room!  I don't have to wait for my husband to get the truck out to move anything anymore.  There is soooo much room in the Rigbymobile! 

I had an Explorer which probably would have been fine, but I just traded it in on an Expedition which I think is even better.  We actually call it the Rigby Mobile because we kept Rigby in mind when we got it.  It works great, if we go on trips we can have the whole back full of luggage and he still has room to sit in the second row seating area between the two bucket seats!  He usually lays down there right now.  I also have his seat belt attached under neath the seat or it could attach to the child seat loops in one of the chairs.  When there isn't anything in the back he can have that to hang out in when we are eating dinner.  So far so good.  Love it! and the room! 

I will never drive anything but a minivan with dogs. I love that I can operate the side door from my remote and there is plenty of room for dogs, people, and stuff.

I have a Toyota RAV4 which I love.  I bought waterproof covers for the back seats and in the trunk from Petsmart and they help to save my upholstery!  I have two large LDs that don't travel well together, so one is in the trunk and one on the back seat!  For everyday stuff it is plenty big enough, but when I am going to agility trials it is difficult to fit everything I need in!

well i can't speak much about my experience with dog cars(i've only had tobi for a little over a month :D) but my 4runner has been with me for almost 15 years and is still running strong...so far tobi usually just sleeps during car rides on the floor with an occasional peek out the window(usually when he smells another dog or we're in a parking lot that's close to a fast food restaurant)... i haven't crated him in the car yet and i don't think i will, but if there were ever a need to crate him than there certainly is plenty of room for a crate or two even w/o putting the backseats down :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service