DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Riley had a complete blood panel done the week before her scheduled spay and it came back that her overall white blood cell count was in the normal range but there were two areas that were elevated that in an older dog might indicate a liver problem. The veterinarian thought it was due to rapid growth but wanted us to wait two weeks and redo the test and to reschedule the spay. When we redid the bloodwork, it was down considerably but still slightly elevated. We did the spay and to be extra careful had her on antibiotics for 10 days. Our vet asked us to repeat the bloodwork in a month to be sure that everything was still the same. Riley is now 7 months old. We redid the bloodwork yesterday and the overall white blood cell count is still in the normal range but the two questionable areas, one area was up slightly and the other was down. Our vet still believes it is still related to rapid growth however, knowing us as he does (we are really anal about our dogs and very concerned), he told us that there is a non invasive liver test that indicates liver function OR we could repeat the complete panel in two to three months. He indicated that he was not worried about Riley's health. When I asked him if he would do the liver function test if she were his dog or wait and redo the complete blood panel in 2-3 months, he said he would wait. I guess my question to the group is this: Do miniature doodles have the growth spurt thing (Riley's mom is a standard doodle and her dad is a miniature poodle)? I called the breeder and she said she had a standard who had a similar situation (the dog was 6 months old) and when the bloodwork was repeated at 1.5 years, it was normal. Your ideas would be helpful. We are so crazy about this little dog and I am scared, I have to admit. Thanks, Marion

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Marion.
In the past, I had a cat with similar issues. We did a bile acids test and it came back OK. The vet I worked for at the time (I'm a vet tech) prescribed a product called Denamarin. After a month, his values were back to normal.

At present, my current boss, has used this product for similar situations. It is not harmful and may help. Ask your vet about this.

Good luck,
Pauline
Pauline: Just went to ask. com to find out about Denamarin and also found some discussions that lead me to believe that I will want to ask my vet about this. Thanks for the suggestion! Marion
Hi Marion ~ Which of the levels were off? How much were they off? Did they fall within the normal 'range',? I am by no means a vet and would never try to step in with advice as such, but we just had to figure out some bloodwork and I had come across some food information that was very helpful in looking at the levels. Blessings ~
Hi, Dianne!
They fall in the normal range overall...I believe that it was in the leukocytes and one other that they were slightly out of range. My vet continues to believe it is a rapid growth issue because everything else is perfect. It was funny, however, that you brought up food...My husband and I were discussing that perhaps it was the food she is eating. We have continued to try to find the food that would best go with her tummy but, as of this writing, we are still stuck on the Iams and if I try to move her to two meals of the Iams (along with a little of low residue wet food), the food causes loose stools. I love my vet...he has been wonderful but he has suggested the digest puppy from Royal Canine and I don't think it is any better than Iams. If you have any insights, I would love to hear them. Riley is active, happy, has high energy and doesn't show any of the signs that accompany toxicity of the liver or liver disease---as long as I keep her on 1/2 of Iams 3 times per day, mix at least two of the meals with low residue, her stools are fine and she has a GREAT appetite. I have been able to take the low residue out of her diet at lunch by putting her fish oil on the Iams. I hate the low residue and want her off of it because of the preservatives in it, but I don't know how to go about it since our vet doesn't think the preservative that is used is a problem. Thanks for your help! Marion
Marion,
I think the food part was a typo on my part because my body was reluctant in following my brain to bed, meant to say 'good'. BUT it must have been a psychic freudian slip because I may have a suggestion. I am at work right now and am not sure I remember exactly (the danger in replying to many food posts), was Riley having 'sensitive' stomach issues when you tried to change her? Evangers has a classic chicken & rice that my provider has told me is very good for many dogs that are typically placed on RX foods, as a plus here it sells for under $1.50 per can. Look at this from web page: "Sensitive Stomach? Try our Classic Chicken & Rice or Lamb & Rice Dinner. Both have been approved and recommended by Dr. Elizabette Cohen for use as an Intestinal Diet. The Intestinal Diet is for dogs with sensitive stomachs which leads to diarrhea and vomiting." And here is the Evangers web site: http://www.evangersdogfood.com/dog/

A suggestion I might make is to try to change part of the canned first, if all goes well for a few days gradually increase it - remaining at the same level for a few days with each change - until you are 100% with that food without issue. IF that goes well, stay at that point for a pause and then you may try gradually swapping her kibble. An additional recommendation I have is to add digestive enzymes to her food, I like Wholistic Pet's Digestive Enzymes ~ they cost a little more but it is a more complete formula AND if it does work what kind of price can you put on that?

With all of that said, I do feel that these levels can absolutely be influenced by food and sometimes they may be low because they are not processed well or metabolized efficiently. It is my understanding that the digestive enzymes assist with this. Please do let me know how this goes if you pursue it. Good luck! Blessings ~

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service