DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, My dog has suddently started getting little bloody areas randomly on her. About the size of a pencil eraser. Then I found little scabs scattered about her body. Found these last night. I have an appt. with vet in two hours. It has continued this morning. They are really bleeding. I've looked all over her and cannot find any fleas or ticks. They are even where she can't get to (top of head by her eye, so I know she isn't causing the bleeding by biting) What could be causing this. Anyone know or have had this happen? She did recently go to an event in the country with other dogs. Could it possibly be chiggers and if so how do you get rid of them on dogs?

Views: 1704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would not even want to hazard a guess on something like this. I'm glad you are taking her to the vet today. I hope it is nothing serious, please let us know what the vet says.
Could be a combination of things going on with her (major reaction to fleas, and other bugs) right now fleas are starting to jump on and off dogs since the weather is getting cooler, I would definetly get her into your Vet. Hope all is well with her... Please let us know how she is doing and what your Vet has to say...
Well, the Vet is unsure what it could be. Not fleas, ticks or chiggers. Think it's a staff infection and the lesions are cropping up and rupturing. They processed a slide and did see staff but not an unusually high amount. (Apparently staff is always on dogs skin.) Typically the lesions stay isolated to one general area (such as belly) but these are all over. Gave me antibiotics and a medicated shampoo. If not improved or worse in 24 - 48 hours I am to call them asap. If it's improved then she will give more antibiotics for a total of at least 3 weeks. I'll keep you posted, but if anyone else has experienced this please let me know. It may be something the Vet has never encountered before. She says she'll be looking through her medical books on this one.
Deanna, it's staphylococus, or "staph" for short. It's a group of bacteria that only affect the skin and mucus membranes. I know of a couple of other doodles who have recurrent staph infections in one particular area, usually around the face or belly. I wonder if your dog could have spread the bacteria by scratching or licking. At any rate, I'm glad you are treating her and hope she will be just fine quickly.
I wonder if I spread it by brushing her and trimming her. I did that on Sunday and the lesions etc. showed up Monday? I'll sterilize my tools for her just in case.
Hi, I have it happening on only 1 of my dogs. I have no idea what it is but I cured it in a couple of days by rubbing it wi EMU oil. Emu oil also helps my thinning skin, reduces bruises on my arms. Let me know if it works for you. Warning: Emu oil is not cheap! Puppy love from Joy & furry folk
It's got to be less than the $147.00 I paid the vet and I still will need to buy 2 more weeks of antibiotics. Thanks for the tip, if this happens again I will definitely try this.
Oh my, I sure hope the antibiotics work. Poor pup, get well soon.
I think I remember reading an article about something called "puppy strangles" and their was mention about lesions. ??
I think she's too old for that. She's 14 mos. old. I think they can get that at 4 mos. and younger.
Deanna, how is she doing? Is the medicine helping in any way?
Well, it's been 24 hours, I have seen one new lesion, but she isn't biting and scratching nearly as much. I think the shampoo helped immediately with her comfort. She's taking her pill pretty easily. I believe the combination of antibiotic and medicated shampoo is working. I'll know more in the next few days, but she seems a lot more comfortable. Thank you for asking.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service