DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Board & Train Facility or IN Home Training for a fee....what would you do?

I've searched this forum and I didn't think that I found the answer to my question, but I'm still trying to navigate around these pages so please let me know if I overlooked it......

I'm considering hiring a trainer for my mini doodle. We don't have access to training classes (other then a beginner's puppy class for $20 which is more about socializing the puppy then anything else). I found a place online (Called Midwest Dog Training). They will work with the dogs at their facility for 3-4 weeks or they will do in-home trainings that consist of 2 - 2hr sessions about 3 weeks apart. By the time they are done, they say that your dog will know all the simple commands as well as address behavioral concerns and house training issues. They assured me that he would no longer bite, he would walk on a leash/heel, and barking would be at a minimum.

Our puppy continues to bite. At this point, I can't have him around my daycare kids during the day. I allow him to run around after my kids lay down for a nap in the afternoon. He also bit my daughter in the back of the foot when she was walking to the next room (and it was bleeding everywhere). She didn't do anything to him, just walked past him. He also bit her in the ear a couple of days ago and bit me on my cheek today. I do NOT encourage any type of aggressive play or tug-of-war with his toys. He was used to playing w/my mini schnauzer, but he's grown to be a little bigger then him (maybe only 16 pounds now), so I'm trying to prevent "dog play" as well. I have tried to wear him down before allowing him to interact with my child. I know that a tired dog is a well behaved dog. However, he seems to always come back to the biting.

I have ALWAYS trained my own dogs. I say "always" and I've only had 3 in 23 years. However, I played with them all and easily trained them to do simple tricks and potty trained to go outside. I even had a special needs dog (blind, epilepsy) which did very well. SO, you can imagine my struggles at this point when I'm not getting the dog to act the way I expect. I know that my life is hectic now, but I firmly believe that many dogs can be trained to fit the environment they live in. I know that its a lot of money to spend to have my dog specially trained. But I also consider him to be a family member/friend/daycare buddy that will be around for 10+ years. I would like to know that I have given him the best training I could.

So, is it worth it?? Has anyone invested in classes like this? Would you recommend it? Are there concerns that I need to think about? I asked the trainer how it would work when Dex was brought back home and he said that they use a special collar ($200) that is gentle (Not a shock collar) and uses sensory stimulation to help give commands. He said that he would keep the collar and work with us when Dex came home so that we understand what he's learned. He said the transition is simple because all the commands are coming from a similar source. I would continue to work with him and eventually take the collar off if I felt comfortable. It sounds humane. I'm just wondering what others would invest to train their pups? Is this out of line? My husband thinks I'm crazy to consider it. He tells me to train him myself. However, I'm getting discouraged at the continued biting and feel that keeping him in a kennel half of the day is not the answer.

Thanks

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I couldn't help but send another update to our puppy, Dexter.

First of all, we are still spraying the bitter spray on our other dog (that Dexter play/bites a lot). Although he is still biting him, we have noticed a reduction of the "intense" biting that he used to do. It seems he's a little more hesitant and more content to lay down and look at him (like he's wondering why he tastes so bad). Since my older dog doesn't chew on anything, he doesn't realize that we've sprayed him with bitter dog spray.

Secondly, you will NOT believe how Dexter acts with my husband. HE LISTENS TO HIM!!! Seriously, I would not believe it if I didn't see it myself. Not only does he listen, but he IMMEDIATELY STOPS what he is doing and sits or lays down on the floor next to my husband and wait for his next command. We repeated this experiment throughout the day. Sure enough, Dex would bite at me.....and would not let up. The only thing I can do is put him in his kennel when we gets so insistent. However, with my husband around, it stops immediately.

Finally, I took Dex to the retirement home this afternoon. My Grandma is there and she has congestive heart failure. Our conversations are limited as she does not speak much and is often tired or confused. Today, I took Dex along for the trip. He was unbelievable!! It was as if I had someone else's dog with me!! He was gentle, kind and adorably shy. He sat by the older ladies in their wheelchairs and allowed them to pet him. I brought treats along and he was eager to sit and shake "paws" with the residents. He was very calm and walked on his leash as if he'd been doing it for years!! Seriously, I have NO clue what happened to him. By the end of our visit, many of the residents were smiling and asking us to come back. My Grandma even smiled and told me that Dex was a cute dog. Several of the nurses also asked me to bring him back. They said that animals are welcomed as it really boosts the spirits of the people there.

So now, I have a new passion for getting Dex trained to behave well around my daycare kids, but to also be a little buddy to the elderly that crave a little furry friend for an afternoon. If I was older, I think I would like that too.

Dex is still biting me...relentlessly. At this point, all I can do is keep everyone safe around him and patiently wait for our classes that will begin in a week!! He will cuddle with me and I was able to FINALLY get outside and walk with him this weekend. He was tired and the most cuddly he's been. I know that he needs more exercise so I'm hopeful that brighter days are ahead of us. I can see that he's going to be a great dog and I feel that I love him more and more each day. I'm excited to work with him and make him the best dog he can be!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service