DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Today marks 6 years since baby Boca came home

Boca has been a wonderful family dog!  The unfortunate gift she got today finding out she has a torn CCL.  I've been looking at old DK discussions from others who have been through this and our experience with Boca seems similar to Jarka's with Monty insofar that at first we thought the minor limping was just over exertion after the occasional fetch (because we didn't run her hard often, we figured the consequent temporarily limping was just from not being used to the effort).  Then after the first day of the Walla Walla Romp it got much worse. This morning she got an xray and the vet gave us the results of a torn CCL. 

Sounds like no matter what procedure we choose for repair, the after care is critical and the chances of the other knee needing surgery later are fairly high.  I'd love to hear from those of you who have been through it and how things are going now and any recommendations you have. 

Views: 1290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On leash walks are fine, wading in elbow deep water (walking along a shoreline) is also good exercise. Swimming when you have an unstable joint is not a good idea (despite what many people think).

I think Monty injured his knee in summer 2014 running on the beach in San Diego. I'm not sure about that, but after we got home, I started noticing very slight limping. Took him to our regular vet, but she could not see anything since he was not limping. We even had his hips x-rayed. In fall 2014, I made an appointment at the dog rehab place and it took 2 of the vets about 3 visits to finally feel that his knee was a little loose in the socket. Also, it helped that I took a video of Monty trying to get up after sleeping and they could see which leg to focus on. They recommended a surgeon and I set up an exam early January. His first surgery was January 28. I remember asking the surgeon whether I should wait till summer when my husband is off school. She suggested getting in done right away to prevent any further damage and pain.

I don't understand why there is greater chances of the other knee needing surgery when a dog has a torn CCL?

I'm not sure, but I am guessing it has to do with:
Same dog, same physical conformation on both sides
Same dog, same activity level and ways of moving
Perhaps a genetic predisposition?
Maybe from the time bearing more weight on the initially unaffected knee

I imagine it is a combo of all of those, but I'd be curious what tips the scale most.

I think you are right in that it is a combination of all of these, however, you will notice that the good leg does take a beating during the recovery.  They put a lot of weight on it getting up and down because of the pain etc in the other knee.

I agree! Duke is a nut! He'd hop on his good leg, try to jump etc. He had no problem getting around. I did have to keep him on a leash at times before his surgery as I was afraid he'd hurt himself. We bought a ramp to help him get in/out of the car. I was glad we got him used to it before his surgery. He just wanted to try to use it as a springboard. Lol

The second leg does take the brunt of things when they aren't putting weight on the injured leg.  However, there is a genetic predisposition for this.  Our surgeon said that Newfoundlands have such a problem with it than they have now developed a test where they can tell if the dog carries the DNA for weak CCLs.

So it is a combination of being predisposed to it and then the stress while the repaired knee heals.  We worried about Mater's back as well because of the way he crooked himself to walk when the one was healing and the other torn.  It was awful. In face, a wonderful Doodle person supplied us with a wheelchair for him during that time.  We hope that it can be a resource for others who may need it.

Yep, all of the above!! There is a question of genetic predisposition, and also a link to early spay/ neuter (before the growth plates are closed), which is why recommendations are changing about what age to do that procedure.

I think Gordie was in a great deal of pain because, he self limited himself pretty much.  We were able to make things happen pretty quickly for Gordie's surgeries, but we didn't let him walk around. We kept him confined and took him out to potty on leash and when we could we used a large towel (and then a real sling we got from the vet) to support him as much as we could.

Good luck Boca!!! I'm relieved it's not something life threatening but still sorry she has to go through it....and you too. ;( She'll be fine and running around soon! :)
Our girl Maggie is 12 yrs old and suffered acl injury 2 yrs ago at 10. We opted for the Tplo surgery. It was a hard decision because yes, very expensive, her age and the long recovery and rehab. But, she did great! Maggie has always been very active, running & jumping etc. It was hard keeping her on leash for few weeks. She (prior to surgery) would never potty on leash but yes, she did adapt because that was her only choice. We did utilize the crate for some short period that we couldn't be with her. She resumed all her normal fun life stuff about 10 wks after surgery and THANKFULLY her other rear leg is still just fine. Yes, statistics say if one leg goes the other eventually will too.
Good luck, hoping it goes well for you.
Attachments:
Happy Gotchaversary! I hope the surgery goes smoothly, and she has a speedy recovery.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service