DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Let me preface this by saying that I know how ridiculous it sounds. But I would like to hear other people’s experiences with bringing home a new rescue. I think it will help.

I don’t think Maggie likes me. She’s been here 3 weeks. And she likes me, that’s not the right phrasing. We are getting along well. She seeks attention. She follows me around. She even asked to go outside last night and I understood! But I don’t think she loves me. I don’t think she trusts me. And I have the distinct impression that she feels like a visitor here waiting for her real mommies to come back and get her.

I adore her. I want us to have a mutual love fest. I’ve been spending time with her. Trying to give her space to figure things out and decide that she wants to come to me. I’ve fed her by hand and given her a million treats (probably a few too many.) I encourage her to come be near me, but then let her go when she wants to leave 3 seconds later. She loves to go for rides so I take her with me when I can. We play ball in the yard. We’ve gone for walks. We’re waiting for our training class to start.

I’m not sure if I’m missing something, or maybe I’m trying too hard. Or possibly she just isn’t going to be the dog who wants to hang out with me on the couch. But from what her foster mom’s tell me she was that dog with them. I want her to like me too. I think it’s hard because no one will ever be Ava, and I miss what I had with her so much. I don’t want Maggie to be Ava. I just want her to be just like Ava. I know, ridiculous.

So tell me I’m expecting too much too soon. Tell me that it takes 2 months, or 3 months, or that our obedience class will be the thing that will bond her to me. I just want to be closer to her. The stinky hound dogs that I transported yesterday were more excited to see me than she is. I got major kisses from them. Sloppy dog tongue in my mouth!

Views: 753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No UTI for Maggie, so that's good. We just have to work on the behavioral stuff. Tomorrow is her first big day at daycare. I'm a little nervous, but I know she will do great. Her weight is down a little on 1300 calories a day. She has a metabolism I envy! I'm going to increase her intake a little, but really I think she looks good. She flies when she jumps, and she has her whole life to gain weight. I think I might be starting to relax a little bit, and Maggie is too.

Such good news. 

The vet also said that she did wonderfully when they took her back to borrow a little urine. Normally I hate it when they take them into the back, but I didn't want her to associate me with that, so it was probably a good thing. She's a gentle soul. I've never felt so much as a single tooth when she takes treats, no matter how I hand them to her. And I've never heard her growl at all. Katie's a talker. She'll tell you all about it. But not Maggie. She's just such a good girl.

Hooray! Sounds like things are starting to turn around already – – congrats !

Sounding pretty positive about Maggie.  Time will bring you both to the place you want.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service