DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We rescued a dog (Murphy) from the Town Shelter back in March, and I had been taking him to a vet close by.  They called him a terrier mix, like the Shelter said. 

Today I took him to a vet I had used a few years ago for my birds (I feel more comfortable with him), and he looked at Murphy and said, "Oh boy, what do we have here?  What kind of dog are you Murphy, I think you are a designer dog, some kind of doodle.  I think a small Labradoodle".

My question, can a Labradoodle be on the small side.  He is 23/24 pounds and my husband says about 15 inches high to his shoulders.  We cant get an accurate measurement, he wiggles too much when the tapemeasure comes out. 

Thank you for listening.

Colleen.   

Views: 1067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are definitely labradoodles fo that size. Much smaller even Let's see pictures.
My Allie is 24 pounds at 1 year. She is an F1bb goldendoodle. Her mom was a poodle and her dad was a goldendoodle so yes he can be that small. They can even be smaller depending on their parents. We need a picture though. He sure sounds cute. I am about to check out your page.
Hi Colleen, yes they can...we have our 1st Labradoodle Guinness he is almost 2yrs. 53lbs/ we also have a rescue Rosco and he is 32lbs....
I'm sure Jane's Guinness is under 24 lbs...I want to say he's under 20 lbs. And there are lots of other minis here on DK who are under 25 lbs, too. Check out the Mini & Medium Doodles Group.
Yes, Guinness is only 18 pounds, and he's a mini ALD.
I am guessing from your pictures that he is some kind of poodle mix but I am guessing not a lab mix just because of his ears, but whatever he is, he sure is a cutey.
I agree. He doesn't look like a labradoodle. Two long eared dogs do not have offspring with those ears, I think.
The "standard size" for a mini Australian Labradoodle is 14-16 inches tall and 15-25 pounds. Tara is a little over 16 inches tall but is 19 pounds right now at 21 months old. When we were researching Labradoodles I found a breeder who claims to breed the smallest "toy" Labradoodles between 12-25 lbs or even less. She uses a 5lb toy poodle as sire. So to answer your question-yes, it is possible to have a Labradoodle that size.

However, people are crossing many breeds with poodles right now. It might be fun to have a genetic test done! There was a discussion recently here on DK about another Doodle mom who had this done on a rescue dog and found hers was 1/2 poodle and 1/2 golden retriever! Pure Doodle! Sorry, I can't find the discussion about it..anyone else remember?
Yep, that's it! Thanks!
You guys are the best....thank you so much. Someone told me (on here I think) they thought he looked like a schnoodle, when I mentioned it to the vet, he said, "no way, that is a real stretch". His assistant said maybe a Wheaton and a Poodle. Who knows.....I think you are right about the ears, 2 long eared dogs most likely wouldnt have a short eared dog.

I followed the link to the other discussion and I am going to try and find that DNA testing kit. I think it will be fun to see what Murphy is.

Thank you all again so very very much. This is such a warm, kind, caring group of people. Thank you.
Colleen
Colleen, if you do get the test done please let us know the findings! I'd love to know! Murphy is a little doll!! I love his ears!!!

I'm not positive but I think that Eryn said she got her test on eBay. I have seen some on there too.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service