DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Tried to clip my 2 yr old (80 lb) Goldendoodle's nails myself. I swear I clipped just a tiny tip off the end of one nail but it has been a while since he has had them clipped and I believe the quick/vein had extended to the tip. He bled, soaked a paper napkin. Used cornstarch... got it to stop.

soaked it in lukewarm water til the water was clear and all dried blood/cornstarch was removed. I touched the tip with gauze and no blood was coming off on the gauze.

I applied a gauze bandage...  then put on one of my kids footie socks and secured with athletic tape. He was fine.

Then he started walking around, playing with a ball and I looked down to see the footie was soaked with blood and bloody pawprints in my carpet.

So we applied pressure again....changed the bandage.

So here are the questions:

how long til it stops bleeding?

And did it start bleeding again because he was putting pressure on it by walking around?

It's night time here so he would have to go to the Emergency Vet if I have to take him somewhere tonight. Or should I just keep an eye on it through the night and take him to his vet in the morning.

Thanks....

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Bo is fine today but yesterday his nail began to bleed again twice during the day. So we had to keep a bandage on it all day. For those that said I was "over reacting"... I never once thought he would bleed to death from a clipped nail. And my reference to an emergency vet was to only say that if I couldnt stop the bleeding on my own, my only choice would be an Emergency Vet since it was nighttime but that wasnt something I wanted to do nor have to spend the money for. Hence.. Why I posted the question in this site. Bo soaked through three bandages and I spwnt the better part of an hour scrubbing the blood stains out of my carpet. And he was still bleeding 18 hours later. So it was more than just a little blood from cutting the nail too deep. Thanks to those who offered advice and also those that checked back in. Love this site!!! Lots of nice ppl and lots of great info!

That's great news Angie. I'm so glad it finally stopped, it sure seems like a long, messy bleed though! I'm glad you guys joined us here on DK!

Terrific news Angie.  I just cannot bring myself to cut Charie's black nails.  Beau's I can do because you can clearly see where to cut! Yikes

I nicked Gavin so bad one time that it bled off an on for four days. I would get it stopped but once he became active it would reopen. My DH was ready to kill me for my miscalculation. Gavin did not seem to notice. We used styptic powder and long down stays. He was fine. I felt bad. I have learned a new method that helps me avoid nipping those long quicks. I have him stand and hold his paw towards his backend -- think of picking up a horses hoof. This gives you a good view of where the nail ends and the quick begins. No issues since.

Does this work when the nail is black? Alma is the first and only dog I have had that does not have clear or white nails. Her nails are black or dark so I cannot see where her nail ends and where the quick begins.
So sorry you had this experience. But happy to know that Gavin was unaffected.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service