DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Banjo was attacked by the pitbull from across the road last nite. This dog is tied all day, every day on the side of their property.  He must be a mix - pitbull with perhaps doberman as he's quite large.  DH and Banjo were coming back from a walk and heading up our driveway when the dog broke his cable and ran down the road to our property.  He knocked DH right off his feet and went directly after Banjo.  They ended up under the pickup truck. My DH tried in vain to pull the dog out from under but wasn't able to. He got ahold of Banjo's leash and pulled him into the truck (almost hanging
him!!) and then had to push the pitbull out to close the door.
No one was bit thank God!  DH's hand is swollen and his hip is sore.  Banjo
is all weird about going outside now.   He smelled SO bad that I had to
give him bath right away.   It was AWFUL....I'm still sick about it.
DH called 911 - the owner's came over and assured us they would keep
dog in the house...blah..blah.. blah......And if all of this isn't bad enough they apparently are "fostering" this dog until a home is found for him!  The poor animal is left outside all day long!
I can't help thinking about all of the "what if's".  I really don't have any idea how I would have handled the situation.  The irony of it all is we had just finished having a conversation about how "well balanced and adjusted" Banjo was.  I don't want him to have any "hang ups" about other dogs or anything else.  First thing this morning I took him outside to pee.....and for the first time since getting him...he didn't go.  He was so busy looking over his shoulder and sniffing out the "crime scene".  He eventually did go after eating a small breakfast.  I keep taking him outside for little walks (recreating his walk with Dad last nite) and giving him yummy treats.  He does seem more relaxed as the day goes on here.
Just had to vent.....I'm still wired up about this, thanks for listening : )

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my goodness, Carol. I was cringing all through reading this! I am sooo happy they are BOTH alright! I too, would be going over the "what-ifs", but try real hard not to. Your tenseness about thinking about the "what-ifs" may transfer over to Banjo - the poor guy! You are so smart to take Banjo out and treat him on the path of last night's horror. Good for you! There is one good thing about the "foster"... at least he's not their's for keeps. Hopefully they'll find a home - QUICKLY
That's really scary! I'm so happy to hear Banjo wasn't injured. Hugs to all of you.
This is terrible. I carry mace spray and almost used it last night when a dog came chargine out at us on a neighborhood walk. It is so frustrating when people leave dogs loose like this expecially if they are going to charge out and scare the heck out of people / dogs. The dog didn't do anything thank goodness- he just looked aggressive to me.
Hope your DH is ok !
So glad to hear that Banjo is going to be ok. Not so sure I would have been so agreeing with the neighbors just keeping the dog inside. I have always worried about this because there are a couple of dogs chained to dog houses on the route that we walk and they get pretty excited and I worry about them busting their chains. Think I'm going to go get some of that pepper spray mentioned to have just in case.
We know exactly how you feel , Jasper was attacked by a pitbull in november it took him along time not to be afraid of other dogs when he is on the leash . I'm so glad that your DH was there to help and that no one was hurt .
I am so glad Banjo and the other dogs in the stories people shared are ok. There are so many terrible stories these days about attacks that do not have a good ending. I am absolutely paranoid about something like this happening on my walks. Unfortunately there are a lot of pitbulls or pit mixes in my neighborhood that are not being cared for properly (tied outside all day, not socialized and not at all trained). I try to remember to take the pepper spray, but have to admit my mind is usually so full of other things (I use the dog walking time as de-stressing time after work due to stressful work conditions) that I sometimes forget it. And, I do not take my doggies to dog parks, but only let them socialize with dogs that I know their people - such as the members of my therapy and obedience club. Or, the GRAD group I recently had the pleasure of meeting here in Richmond. Good luck with Bano recovering from the attack - it sounds like he's on the way.
I am so sorry about what happened to Banjo and others. My family owned pits growing up as a child and I do remember them attacking each other one time. One was hurt (she caught her leg in a tree shaped like a V and couldn't get it out) So the other pit a male, attacked her. It looked like a bunch of linous's rolling around in the dirt til we got them seperated. But they were so loved and around us kids that they never attacked anyone.
I can't imagine what I would have done in that split second. I am so glad everyone is ok.
Mindi & Bella
We've had a great weekend. Banjo seems to be his same ole happy-go-lucky self! We'll continue to be "on the look out" for unwanted visitors but so far the neighbors have been true to their word about keeping the pit bull inside. I've asked several people, our trainer and the local pet store about local rescues (hoping to narrow down where this dog is from) only to learn there are many rescue organizations he could have come from. We'd really like to know more about where the dog is from and follow through on that end.
DH is just fine too! ; )
SO glad to hear that! Enjoy the rest of your weekend! HOpe you can find out more about the dog! Good luck!
Carol, if you're sure the dog is a pitbull or pit mix, you can search Petfinder for listings under "pit bull terrier" and your zip code, and see if any dogs match.
Oh Karen....I had no idea....thanks!!! I'll do that.
I am so glad to hear Banjo is back to his regular happy self. Good news for sure. Good luck on finding the rescue of the pit bull.
Mindi & Bella

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service