DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My Mia is a 9 month old female Australian Labradoodle- extremely sweet!  However......  she has a behavior that I find a little strange.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

For my husband, who is obviously the Alpha, she comes running immediately when called (from outside).  When I go to the door to call her, she will look up and acknowledge that she heard me, but will just stand or sit in place and look at me.  As soon as I go away from the doorway and out of her sight, she will then come to the door.  So she does come when I call her, but not if I'm looking at her.

Anyone know why or how to fix?  Inside the house, she comes when I call her - no problem.

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quincy will often do this-it's as if he is saying: "yeah, here I am, I'm looking at you, what?" and just sit up on our hill on the other side of the retainer wall.  LOL  funny doods.  

So if you really want her to come when you call her you'll need to go and get her when she "blows you off".  There's a whole training process for "recall", but at a minimum I would not let her get away with ignoring you.  I would say "Mia Come" and then wait...if she doesn't come I'd give the command once more (always use only that command) and If she didn't come I would "track her down" in the yard, put the leash on and bring her right into the house.  I wouldn't say a word during the process....she'll get the idea that you "mean business".  If she does come when you call I would reward, which means always have a treat in your pocket before you call her.  Inside the house there are fewer distractions....much less difficult to come when called.

Question, yogi comes when I call, even in midstep he'll turn around. But when DH does it, he won't do it, then when DH goes out to enforce, yogi runs away, and sometimes circles him to play. This has just started. Needless to say DH finds it very aggravating. Suggestions?

DH needs to not say a word....just track him....yogi will eventually give up....then leash him and bring him in.  He needs to learn that he's not going to win.

Thanks Jane!

Given that she's got the inside-the-house recall-mastered, I'd start on reinforcing it there.  When she comes (inside) give her a super awesome treat (my trainer had us use hot dogs or cheese or something super special (and lots of it) that was only given out for this command.  Then once you've proofed the indoor recall, move it outside, again making sure to have a super awesome treat for when she does come.  I was also taught that if they don't come when called you need to go get them so they know it's not optional.

I do agree with you all I need to work with her more on outdoor recall and bringing home the point that "this is not optional".  Guess I'm not as stern as DH. 

The most curious part to me is - why she comes as soon as I look away.  Not sure what it has to do with me looking at her?

I don't know for sure, but in The Other End Of The Leash the author talks about body language and eye contact and how what humans consider polite (face to face eye contact) is not the same as what dogs consider polite.  There might just be a species difference going on.

I think she sees it as part of the game Carol - like hide and go seek - as soon as you look away or seem disinterested, she has to re-initiate contact.  I have been in a couple of situation when Gavin blew me off - I turn and run the other direction, or go hide behind a tree and he re-engages and come to find me.  It is a hard thing to master IMO as there is always something more interesting going on outside.  I struggle getting Gavin to respond immediately.  In the back yard he likes to take one last look around before heading in.  But once I set one foot outside the door, he comes running.  I would like to eliminate the "one step."

This is really the only challenge in training we have had so far. She does come...but at her own pace. Has anybody tried the expanding leash to work on it? Plan on starting tomorrow - will let you know how it goes. Great idea to add a special treat when she does come to me outside, thanks!

I wouldn't use the flexi-lead......a long line is more effective for teaching recall IMO.

Thanks!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service