DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My husband is near death, in hospice in our home. i think Chloe is picking up on my sadness, and seems depressed herself. She turned one, and used to be full of life. She won't even play at the dog park but just sits with me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Views: 1303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so very sorry to hear about your husband . I have no personal experience with this but I have no doubt your dog picks up on and is affected by your sadness. For now you two share a sad reality and I don't think you can change that. At least Chloe and you can help each other through this time.

Unfortunately I do. I live at home and we have a family great pyrenees, Bella. My mom was diagnosed with cancer last May and passed away at the beginning of January. Bella and my mom were very close and my mom, too, spent the final months of her life at home with us. I definitely noticed a change in Bella in the final days of my mom's life and beyond. The good news is that she seems to be improving slowly and will play with Ragley and I, but she is still not the same. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Prayers for you and your family. There is almost nothing more heartbreaking than witnessing the sorrow in an animal.

Stephanie, I have never experienced anything like this. It is heart wrenching to watch someone you love so deeply suffer so greatly. I am sorry about your mom. I'm sure you have peace knowing that you were by her side for the duration of her illness. I'm glad to hear that Bella is starting to come around. I hope she comes full circle. Thank you for shating your experience.

I am very sorry to hear of your mother's passing Stephanie.  Hugs to you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, Stephanie. I'm sure it was a blessing that she could spend her final days with you and Bella.  Hugs to you both.

Stephanie, so sorry you lost your mom. Many hugs and wishes for fond memories to embrace you and help bring healing to your heart. So glad you have Ragley to keep you busy and to help Bella. Holding your family in my prayers.

I'm so so sorry about your husband.  I'm sure that Chloe is picking up on this.  Dogs are like that and my experience is that doodles are very intuitive.  I'm glad that you have each other. Sending prayers for all of you.

So so very sorry and sad to hear what you, your husband and family are going through. How compassionate that you have Chloe on your mind during this difficult time, also - but of course she's a special part of the family, and as that very special being she is undoubtedly sensing the difference within you and the household. My dogs always knew when something was off in someones health or mood - they're so attuned to that sort of thing; picking up on subtle differences, odors whatever clues that have to go on and seem to alter their own temperament accordingly. I imagine it must help you, even in the smallest ways, to hold and pet her and feel the loving bond you share - it's sounds like its her gift of comfort to you. Rejoice in these small loving moments, if you can. And may you feel the caring support of others here during this transition, "all-ways".

Susan, I believe that Chloe will be a big part of helping me cope with the loss of my husband. Her constant presence and unconditional love bring me great comfort!

Lynn I am so sorry about your husband.  This last November my husband's mother became very ill and passed away at the end of November.  Libby definitely knew something was very wrong and became depressed, laid around without her usual happy moments, stuck to us like glue, did not eat like usual and was extremely protective over us.  That day after the funeral when we were both just totally exhausted and so very sad, you could actually see Libby going through our feelings as well.  I believe they  share our sadness and stress, it was very obvious.  It took some time, but she finally came back to "being" Libby again.  My heart hurts for you and your family and please know I am praying for all of you.  

Thank you for the encouragement! I have been hoping that one day I will see that sweet, happy puppy again!

I am so sorry for you and your family. Dogs can be quite perceptive and I am sure she feels your sadness and grief.  I am sending hugs to you and to Chloe.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service