DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have always had the vet remove the dew claws.  After talking with breeders and watching some videos on it I decided I would do my most recent litter of 10.  There are two that have a tiny piece still on it and it is Day 10 since their birth.  I removed them on Day 3.  Would I have any trouble trying to remove it at this late date?

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lorraine, very very few people here are breeders; far less than one percent, and none of us has any experience with this. You should really talk to a vet about it, or post the question in a breeder's forum. 

Thank you Karen... that is really what I was trying to find out if there were breeders on here.  I am an experienced breeder, but just looking for past experience of like breeders.  I wasn't sure what this site was since I had never been on it before.  I think it is great that doodle owners get together to discuss their mutual interest.  So many of the people that buy my puppies are in constant contact with me, but it is always good for people to get several opinions on raising a puppy.  Thank you so much!

I too think you need to talk to your vet. I do know that the pups can and will feel pain. Also, my two doodles have front dew claws and they use them to hold objects. I don't think removing dew claws is a good idea.

And certainly not a do-it-yourself project. :(

Do you breed Goldendoodles?

Me, no I don't.

I can appreciate your opinion on dew claws.  I myself have been back and forth in regard to whether or not to remove them.  Due to the various environments that my babies are placed in (city, country) I decided to that I would remove them.  I also had thought that this site might have breeders on it, but was just informed that it is primarily for owners.  I think it is a wonderful forum for owners to voice their experience in raising their own babies.  I have a lot of contact with my owners on a variety of questions, but I think other like owners are a good resource too.  My opinion and experience is mine only and it is good to get other owner's opinions. 

You are more than welcome to join us here. We do have a few breeders but we mostly are owners.

Thanks

Nor do I. 

The reason I have them removed is because my puppies are placed in different home environments from city to rural.

I agree with F. There are more and more articles showing that dogs who have had their dew claws removed develop arthritis of the carpus (wrist) earlier and with more severity. They are used for gripping, and when turning, or decelerating, the dew claw actually contacts and digs in to the ground. It is a true digit with its own nerve and muscle supply. IMHO it is essential to front limb function.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service