DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

As some of you know, I have a problem with Gavin every so often.  It started with episodes of fever of unknown origin nearly two and a half years ago.  After treatment with anti-biotics and rimadyl (shot gun approach) he was back to normal.  About a year and a half ago another lasting episode.  He had every test in the book and our vet consulted with a pathologist at our teaching university. Gavin was put on a five week course of anti-biotics with the thinking that he may* have had a lingering kidney infection that had been knocked down but not fully cured (white blood cells elevated but not crazy).  Perfect blood followed at the end of the course of meds.  So fast forward three months later and another episode of lethargy, not eating, warm ears, some panting and what we term a "fake yawn."  Temp on the high side (102) but not quite a fever.  After a day or so he recovered on his own.  This has happened about once every three months or so and recovery happens spontaneously within 24 hours.  This week it happened again.  He was on the mend, but I guess we got him moving a bit too fast and he relapsed a bit.  The next day I gave him a rimadyl and after a couple hours he came around and is now right as rain.  I talked to the vet about these episodes and he shrugs and shakes his head - he is either baffled or thinks I am crazy (maybe both).  The facts are:  it is not an infection because he would not recover spontaneously, it is not an immune mediated disorder (ruled out because of bloodwork), his hips are good, fever is caused by inflammation so all that I can think of is that he has a soft tissue injury that acts up (although neither us nor the vet can find it) or he has a headache. Pain?  Anyone have any ideas?  P.S. My vet is great and I trust him and he sought the appropriate second opinion (shared Gavin's blood panel - which he termed a bit of a head-scratcher) from likely the top expert in the province (maybe the country).

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks you Karen.  I remember you warning us about Rimadyl before and I have had two on hand just in case (with the vet's blessing).  I have not given him any in the episodes over the past year as I waited to see if you could come out of it on his own and he did.  I promised myself I would only give if totally necessary and because he was getting worse I decided I would give him one and take him to the vet in the morning if not 100% better.  Well he did snap right out of it so I did not have to take him in.  He could not be more his chipper self today.

have you looked at his teeth? 

I don't know why but fever, teeth, not eating at random times- just popped in my head

Good thought Joanne.  The vet went over his mouth/teeth when he had his wellness exam a couple of weeks ago.  I will check them again myself later on.

I am so sorry you are going through this with Gavin. I will pray that all will be ok. Keep us updated. I will pray for him.

So sweet of you Anna. :)  Thank you!  People are going through much worse though.  I was talking to a teacher at work today and her 8 month old lab has full blown HD.  They discovered with when she was under for spaying.  Can't put any weight on one leg and going for pain shots weekly.  Guess what the breeder said?  "Gee that's too bad."  She and the vet are filling out reports to the AKC about this "breeder."  Bet she dosen't retire the breeding pair.  They are off to the ortho to try and save this poor baby's life.  The prayer I would like is that we are not missing anything with sweet Gavin.  I can handle the hiccups if they don't really "mean anything."

BG, I have no answer to your question but I know it is very worrying for you. I hope you can figure out the answer and that Gavin is perfectly healthy. Why did nobody tell me we were going to have to worry about our doods so much?

I know Donna, as the Gav goes, I go.  You would think they were our children.

I don't have any suggestions or answers but I do hope you either find the cause of these 'episodes' or that they go away all on their own and that you don't have this worry any more..

Thanks for the kind thoughts Nicky.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service