DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm curious to see what people think of this. I am currently feeding Orijen, a high-protein (42% crude protein), grain-free diet. I am thinking of going to something with less protein, and I want to stick with a high quality food. Our dog didn't do well on Wellness, so I'm weighing my other options. California Natural is one of them. Any thoughts?

I didn't post this in the food group, because I thought more people would see it in the general forum. Thanks!

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am wondering why you would switch from the Orijen. Is the high protein not good for our Doodles? I have been advised that Orijen was the best dry food available.
I am thinking of switching because I fear the high protein is really having an impact on my dog's kidneys. He has had very concentrated urine, even WITH drinking a large amount of water, and most vets are quacks. The ones I have seen know nothing about pet nutrition, and just recommend their "urinary tract" diets. I am looking to try something with less protein, just to see if it makes a difference.
I don't agree that vets are quacks... After all nobody has the same medical education and experience that they have.

But just like human Physicians, the vast majority don't know much about nutrition. I'm a registered dietitian for people :-) so I know this firsthand. Unfortunately, there are aren't doggy dietitians with the same kind of education and experience as human dietitians. So dog owners are pretty out on a limb--with few true experts in the nutrition area and lots of people who claim they know what's fact.

There is one website I have found that seems to be on track: http://petdiets.com/

From everything I have read on there in the past, it seems that they know quite a bit and give a lot of helpful and evidence based advice. I'm honestly surprised this website is not talked about more. It is not a nonprofit, they make money off of the consulting they do. But I have emailed the head person there a number of times and she has been very kind to respond. So my suggestion is to contact the head person of this website and give a little background on your dog's health matters and your concerns about food and ask for a recommendation/dierection? You may get a response that requires you to pay for consult--you can always say no.

The other option I want to suggest, is to contact some well known veterinary schools at major universities. I have contacted professors like this in the past and four of five times they are very helpful and willing to answer a question. I would again give them a little bit of background and what your concerns are and ask them for guidance or to be pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!
Sorry, I didn't mean that all vets are quacks...just the ones I have dealt with so far. Thanks for the info! I will see what I can find.
Your vets certainly leave a lot to be desired! I think half the time if vets would sit down with their clients and explain things it would make people so happy! Even if there truly is nothing to worry about...when they blow it off and make YOU feel like a worrywort instead of explaining, it makes them look bad and their clients worry MORE.

So far I've been lucky and both of my vets (I got switched when one went on maternity leave) have been great at taking time to talk with me and explain. And they are great at calling back when I have a question. But not all are like that!
I am on the hunt for a new vet also, I just have my dog's long term health at heart, and if something I'm doing now can affect things later, I want to make the appropriate changes before it's too late. You are SO lucky to have good vets.
Part of the problem is that Vet Schools and Vets Offices, and Vet School Scholarships are often funded by Big Business Companies like Purina. Many vet school courses on Canine Nutrition are either slim to none OR actually taught by BIG Business Dogfood Companies. Once in their own practices, some vets also will get a kickback from, guess who?, BIG Business Dogfood Companies. So, where do their loyalties lie? If you are lucky to find a good vet, bless you...for the rest of us, WE have to educate ourselves and be the VOICES for our furry family members. Until we make a big enough stink, nothing will change.
Same as people doctors...and they don't even get sponsored by anyone for their miniscule lessons in nutrition.
The difference is that people will usually (hopefully) ask for a second opinion or do some research on their own, especially if it is for their children before they will allow proceedures to be performed. We have been convinced that Vets are experts in their field and not to question what they recommend. The truth is, just like with people doctors, we HAVE TO question what vets tell us also. Once we do this, things might change. If Nutritionists (human or canine) were sponsored, maybe we would have better choices (human and canine).
Here is what the Dog Food Project has to say about the question of "too much protein". There is also a lot of other very valuable fact-based info on this website. Basically, the short answer is that you cannot judge by the % of crude protein listed on the label, as there are many factors involved in how much of that protein, in terms of usable grams, is actually available.
I would say that unless you are seeing some problems with your dog, there is no reason to change foods. Orijen is an excellent food. Keep in mind that many people feed their doodles nothing BUT protein...RAW feeders who do not add any plant foods whatsoever, and they would tell you their dogs are healthier than anyone else's.
Here the link for the Dog Food Project:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=protein_myth
I am seeing problems. Based on the topic I posted last week, our vet has said that his urine is extremely concentrated *the most she's ever seen in a dog*...and he is drinking tons of water. I am not willing to salt his food to make him drink even more.
I feed my dog Eagle Pack Holistic Select. I have tried other ones like Merricks and Orijen but it all gives my sensitive pup diarrhea. My dog didn't like Wellness...I had to mix it with wet food to get him to eat it.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service