DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

A few weeks ago we had to attend an out of state funeral, so we had to find a place for Allie to stay overnight.  I wanted to take her with us and find an overnight place for her to stay so we weren't 5 hours away from her, we called the place that we normally have Allie attend Doggie Daycare when we are there.  They told us it would be too late to drop her off for the night we planned on arriving (around 7pm), then told us that no one is there with the dogs overnight!  We ended up finding a hotel that was dog friendly, so she was able to stay overnight with us and she attended doggie daycare during the day.  There is always someone in each daycare room during the day (you can watch on the webcam).  My Husband was very surprised to learn that there isn't anyone at the site overnight, and says Allie will never stay at a boarding facility overnight (what if there were a fire).  Is this practice normal?   I plan on going on vacation eventually, just the two of us (LOL) and would hate for this to become a big issue.  I guess if we had to, we could find someone to take care of her, but I was under the assumption that she would be better taken care of at a boarding facility.  Any thoughts?

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going through this right now Kim and I'm freaking myself out! We don't have a trip planned in the very near future but I thought I should familiarize myself with options in advance. I would never think to ask if someone is at the facility overnight, I would assume! Fortunately being in Tacoma there's a lot of towns nearby that are much more rural, and a few places I've found seem to be set up like doggie ranches, where it appears the owners live on site. But I will never assume now thanks to you!

And I agree with you re: boarding at a good facility being better for the dog, at least in theory I think we're right! A house sitter/puppy sitter usually has a life of their own and may not get as much time with the dog as we think, and at least at a good boarding facility they get social time with other dogs, kind of like summer camp =)

I may regret it, but I'd also like to hear other people's thoughts/experiences with boarding and any tips regarding the right questions to ask.
We are going on a 13 day trip in December and have been debating whether to do the family dog/house sitter versus the boarding facility.  Snickers has been boarded about 5 times since we got him (a little over a year ago) but the longest stint was 5 days  and he goes to daycare their about 2-3 times a month. We believe we have found a great facility (after much searching one place near us should just be plain shut down in my opinion).  However 13 days seems SO long. None of the boarding facilities near us have 24 hour staff.  They all leave between 7-8 pm and show up at between 6:30/7 am in the morning.  Snickers sleeps in a crate at home and doesn’t make a peep from when he goes to bed until he wakes up in the am. The facility that we board has little cubicle rooms for each dog, with walls that don’t go quite up to the ceiling.  We can bring his bed, toys (no squeaky toys though) and his own food.  During the day they are also a day care facility so they have playtime 3xs a day, 3 walks a day and rest time in their cubby (you can even upgrade the cubby to have TV-we will not be doing this!)Overall it has been a good experience, he is gotten kennel cough , but that is normal (even with the vaccine) and he is still healthier than my friend’s kids who go to day care they are ALWAYS sick.  If you can find a place that has 24 supervision that is great, but I don’t really think it is a big deal since most dogs sleep pretty soundly at night.  Regarding the fear of fire…this would be no different if you were away and your house caught on fire, a tragedy that could not be prevented.  More importantly, I would insist on a FULL tour of the boarding facility, including the kitchen (where they store the food) and the laundry facility, as well as the outdoor area and where the dogs are crated and for how long.  Also watch the staff during playtime, are they interactive with the dogs, or more interested in just picking up the pee and poop and not really caring about the dogs.  Good luck!As much as we like the boarding facility near us we are still not sure about the 13 days …we are still in debate mode about that.
Thank you Robyn, glad to hear the cough is also a common, albeit unfortunate, side effect. As is life! But now if it happens I won't beat myself up. A full tour is a must, I agree. If you don't mind me asking, what was your cost range? Playtime and walks seem to be extra (sometimes a lot extra) at most of the places I've looked at. And while I should be happy it's available, it kinda broke my heart that one place offered 15 minutes of individual cuddling for an additional $10 a day.
That is what is so great about this place they are $60 per night but that includes the playtime with the others and 3 walks as well. There is another place nearby that is a bit less expensive but charges for all of those things. I hate being nickel and dimed and to me it shows their philosophy is that the play/walk time isn't that important which bothered me. 
One last piece of advice when you go to check out places don't bring your doodle that way you will be more focused and not worrying about him sniffing etc. 

It was v hard to leave Snickers overnight the first time but then I saw him on webcam the next morning and he was a having a blast he really does like it there. 
I really like the webcam, that's a great feature! Hearing about your place is spoiling me =)
I would never leave Allie alone for 12 hours (even for just one night). Anything could happen. My Hubby is 10 times more paranoid about things happening to the dog than I am, so I'm sure if we couldn't find a great place with all day / all night supervision then the happy medium would be to find a dog friendly hotel and daycare during the day. Allie doesn't make a peep at night either - but that doesn't make me feel any better about having no one there.
We do not have any really good boarding places here, except for one, and they are over $100.00 a night for my two dogs. It looks like the one that Oprah showed with tv in the rooms, etc. I have had the same person watching my dogs for the past 15 yrs. She used to live pretty near us, and she loved my dogs. She is an Aussie breeder, and I got both my aussies from her. She moved to Ocala,Florida about a year ago, and I was so upset. But we have worked it out. Her husband works near us, he goes home on the weekends, so he usually picks up the dogs, and takes them home with him. Now we went to Orlando last week for 6 days. I drove about 30 minutes past Orlando, she met us and took the dogs, and we met when we were ready to leave again. They stay in her house, and they love it there, they have room to run, and play, and she loves them as much as we do. Since she kows our Renny since birth, and our other Aussie that we lost 3 yrs ago, also from birth, they are like her kids. She met OLiver for the first time about 3 mos ago and loves him too. she is a very special lady, and I don't know what I would do without her. I can go away with a clear head, knowing that my guys are well taken care of, and we pay her $30.00 a day for the two boys. I also pay her extra for bathing Renny, and I give her some gas money for the pick up and delivery. But she is worth it, and she has two boys that love my dogs, and play with them while they are there...I know that my "Renny would be very traumatized if he had to be boarded, and Oliver would go into shock. He was not a happy camper the first time he went with her, let alone being caged in a place he didn't know, and not being with Renny...I would freak out too if I didn't have her, they would have to go with me, I guess, no choice...I can't imagine them being alone all night, no one there, like u said, a fire, god forbid, or whatever, this way I know they are never alone...
You are ever so lucky--did you really mean$30 for two, not each. It's at least 30-40$ per dog here.
I did mean $30.00 for the two of them, but that is a special price for me, after all the years I have been using her to care for my fur babies.
Don't forget to check out the boarding group (I forget exactly what it is called). There are some folks who are will to swap puppy sitting responsibilities. See if there is anyone in your area.
what a great idea!!!! I didn't even know that! I guess I should look through all of the groups! Thanks.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service