DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So I may be late to the party, but I think Duncan may have allergies. This is only his second summer alive, but it's the first time we've really noticed the symptoms that some folks have posted here. A while back, (maybe eight months ago?) I noticed that he had some red spots in his groin area. They were mostly small with the largest being about the size of a dime, probably smaller and they were obviously itchy. I took him to see the vet who told me that it could be allergies But was not very definitive. He prescribed prednisone, which I hated giving to Duncan based on the reaction he had (lethargic, tired, peeing like a horse, etc.). Everything cleared up though, and he didn't really have any problems afterwards.

That is until the last month or so. The red spots are back, along with other symptoms like licking his paws, shaking his head, and scratching more than he used to. He is treated for fleas and we have checked him just to make sure no buggers have jumped on. After reading several posts on DK, I started giving him a 1000 mg capsule of EPO a day and 1 Benadryl at night before bed. I also put vetericyn on the "rash" twice a day.

All this has helped some and most of the spots have crusted over (except the ones he continues to lick). He's still itchy though and licks a lot (mostly at night).

I know many of our doodles suffer from allergies, so I am looking some advice on where to start, and info on the ways to treat allergies. I really want to keep prednisone out of the loop if I can. Maybe I could adjust the dose of EPO? I did a search to find allergy specie discussion but really only found bits and pieces. I am sure these discussions exist though, so if you know of any feel free to post the link in lieu of (or in addition to) a comment :)

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How big is Duncan? Calla had mild symptoms, itching and some reverse sneezing. I keep her on 1500mg of EPO year round now.
Hi F,

He was 63 lbs at our last vet visit. Is that close to Calla?
Yes, she is just about that.
PHmm. I'm going to try the EPO in combo with the right antihistamine, then up the dose a smidge if needbe.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service