DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

OMG this is Dexter x10. I've never had a dog that, while he leaves furniture, shoes, people stuff completely alone, finding something else on the floor is winning the doggie lottery. We can always tell when he's gotten something he's not supposed to have when he quickly and quietly trots out of the room and then stays about 10 feet away from you so he can hold onto and chew on whatever precious knickknack that he's found. (likely a rock from outside, a tag, the plastic end cap to something). It's like a doggie rodeo trying to catch and persuade him to give it up and nearly impossible when I'm home by myself. Anyone else's dog do this?

Views: 204

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know people have dogs and kids that run away when being chastized, but I haven't ever had one until Charlie and I don't have a good idea for solving it because he isn't a puppy but an adult.

Jake is absolutely like this.  Only he drops it for the hubby, but no one else and if you ignore him, or pretend to, he will destroy and eat whatever he took.

Headphone pads, magnets X 2, a plastic sand timer.

We keep hydrogen peroxide for this reason because he is like a ninja.

The only thing I can think of would be to try and teach "drop" by trading him something really really yummy when he "drops" whatever you ask him to.  This yummy treat should only be used for this valuable purpose so it needs to be really smelly so he will know you have it.

Ha- this is Teddy to a T! Will totally steal something- most likely receipts, sponges, paper towels - and run away and eat it while staring at me. The closer I get the more frantically he chews. I've tried 'drop it'- but probably haven't been as diligent as I could be about it. Plus giving him a yummy treat after he drops the item sort of feels like a reward for stealing to me! ;) He also does this with toys (and what he considers to be toys- more likely than not, it's a shoe) but is usually hoping to incite a game of keep away. I'm sure I encourage this behavior by actually playing that game with him sometimes. Never a dull moment with those doodles!

The quickest way to teach a reliable 'drop' or 'leave' command is to teach it from a sit, or down position while your pup is on a leash and can not get away.  Once that is reliable, practice often off leash (never chasing to get it back, that becomes the game you can't win).  Teaching a reliable drop or leave command could save your dog's life.  My youngest gets excited and grabs a toy or bone every time you head toward the door, at this point we just keep walking at say drop, you can hear it thunk to the floor as she comes across the room. We have kept her from chewing up sticks, running away with rocks in her mouth or taking anything that is not allowed.  Because she has heard drop or leave so frequently she mainly walks right past things that she knows will cause that command. Take time to teach that, you will be so happy you did.

Just this morning Alma had a tiny piece of plastic.  I think she wandered into our bonus room and found some wrapping paper scraps on the floor.  I could hear her chewing it since it made a crinkling noise.  We never make a big deal about it or chase her.  I go and get a treat - nothing too special, and she trades me for it.  I used to tell her to drop it but now she just spits it out.  Sometimes, I think she looks for scraps of bits just to get attention.  I didn't have time to play ball with her after our hour long walk this morning, so maybe she just wanted to let me know.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service