DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Do their paw pads "callus" the more they use them. In case you didn't see my last discussion, Yeti and I went out for a 4 1/2 mile run. Looking back, it was probably too much for the first time. Anywho, his paw pads got a little torn up. People suggested using boots to run. We are currently researching good running boots for him. Meanwhile, while his paws heal, we have been putting socks on him so we can still go on nightly walks. They work okay but I have to pull them up a lot (would not work for us while he is running).
People I have been talking to about it at work said I am actually hurting him buy not letting his paws strengthen naturally. People suggest, like humans, that the more the dogs use their paws on the side walk / street that their paws will get rougher naturally, similar to a human callus. Has anyone ever heard that? I should simply start with a 1 - 1 1/2 mile run and causally work my way up over a bunch of weeks?
Any insight would be amazing! Meanwhile a cute picture of Yeti with his socks. He really is a trooper :)

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think your co-workers mean well but are not well informed on this topic, lol. Dogs' skin is much different than ours, and their pads are very, very different from our feet. They are not going to get calluses, and rougher pads = pads that tear more easily. That's one reason for using the Musher's Secret. People with hunting dogs and dogs who cover a lot of ground also use Bag Balm to keep the paws from getting rough and cracked.

When Jackdoodle first tore off his paw pads after his first day out running several years ago, (yes, his front pads were gone) I was shocked. (And not just by the $400 ER bill). I had never heard of that happening before. I talked to my vet about it and learned that part of the reason it happened was the structure of JD's paws. He has "open feet" that spread out upon impact, and very thin pads for a retriever mix, and the combination causes his pads to become damaged more easily than they should. Yeti's feet may not be "perfect" either. I was advised to use boots when he is doing any hard running, and I stuck to that. I would advise you to do the same. I once forgot to bring his boots to the dog park and his pads were torn again, although nowhere near as badly. Once Yeti's pads heal, and they usually heal very quickly (or "regranulate", as my vet called it) I think you can allow him to go barefoot during normal walks, lol, but I would use the boots for running on pavement. 

Wow ! thankfully we have never had that experience!  Sounds like you don't have any traction or heat issues?

JD's running days are long over, but we never had issues with heat or traction. But JD also never ran on pavement, only on grass/gravel/dirt. 

Actually, regarding heat issues, one reason for using boots is to protect their pads from being burned by hot pavement. On a sunny 77 degree day, asphalt gets to 125 degrees! 

I get what you are saying with the hot pavement for sure---we always go first thing in the morning because of that.  When I was referring to the heat issue, I was concerned about their feet getting too hot and not being able to "sweat" Do you think there is any need to worry about that?

It's a good point, since their pads and their noses are the only parts of their bodies that can sweat. But we never had a problem, and his feet were never wet afterwards. I think using boots for short periods (< an hour) is fine. They probably shouldn't wear them for hours. But dogs primarily cool themselves and regulate their body temperature by panting, not by sweating.  

Hanna leaves perfect little sweaty footprints on the cement sidewalk and on our deck when she's warm after a run.  Does anyone else's dog do that? (I figured everyone's did !)  

I haven't really noticed anything like that.   We are usually out on a trail for a run then back in the car.  But haven't noticed anything on hot days just walkiing when you think he might be sweating.

None of mine ever did that, and I've had dogs since 1977! But I never had dogs who were big runners before JD. 

Interesting discussion!  I love this site for learning about our doodles and their similarities and differences !!!

Hi Haley! 

I run with my 6.5 year old 60-lb standard goldendoodle Hanna 3x per week, and we walk or hike the rest of the days. We run anywhere from 2.5 to 6 miles.  I do think that her paw pads toughen up gradually.  Im don't put boots on her in the summer mainly because of the heat (and because of the lack of traction too).  Having said that, I do still have to keep an eye on her paw pads and try to take a grass or dirt trail if available instead of always concrete or pea gravel/asphalt.  (Probably for my sake as well as hers!)   I think starting out with short/easy runs and work your way up over time is definitely the best approach, and should help her paws get used to it over time.  She also gets a mini foot rub/paw massage at anything over 3 miles... its fun to watch her eyes roll shut and I swear whe would start purring if she could !

You didn't mention this, but it works really good for us, so wanted to share:  I can get her to drink water more often in smaller amounts with a hydration pack rather than a bottle and bowl (and we don't waste as much)  It makes it a lot easier for me to carry enough water for both of us. (Im a fan of Osprey's Rev 1.5)  She drinks right out of the end of the tube, like a doggie water fountain! : )

Keep us posted on how your running goes !!

Thank you all so much! I just ordered some muttluks mud monsters! I'm hoping these work well for him! Love to run him a little extra since the weather is nice and it helps calm him down :)
We were able to try his boots out for the first time! They worked well and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they continue to work well!! Thanks again all!
Attachments:

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service