DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Could someone please tell me what the "ratings" I keep seeing people use in relation to their doodles mean - i.e., F1B? and how I can tell what my labradoodle would be - half standard poodle and half lab? thanks!

Views: 5601

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

If one parent is a purebred poodle and the other is a purebred lab, that's an F1. First generation. There is a great variation of coat type in the F1s, from very fluffy, curly, low-shedding dogs to those who look like purebred labs with whiskers. F1s are the most likely to shed of all the generations. You can check the F1 Group for photos to see the range.
F1B is the result of breeding an F1 to a purebred poodle (sometimes a purebred lab, but that's not the "correct" way to go.)
An F1B will usually have a curlier coat and have a much better chance of being non-shedding and allergy friendly.
I'll let someone else explain the higher gens.
thanks for the great info! So I've got an F1 - his coat is fluffy and just about straight when it's long, but when he's groomed short, it looks very curly, almost like a pure poodle. Shedding is very light. But, I do find he mats very easily if I'm not stringent about the brushing. I'll check out the F1 Group for pics.
Below is the GANA (Goldendoodle Association of North America) grading scheme.
F1 = Golden Retriever x Poodle
F1B = F1 Goldendoodle x Poodle
F2 = F1 Goldendoodle x F1 Goldendoodle
F2B = F1 Goldendoodle x F1B Goldendoodle
F3 = F1B Goldendoodle x F1B Goldendoodle OR
F3 = F1B Goldendoodle x F2B Goldendoodle OR
F3 = F2 Goldendoodle x F2 Goldendoodle OR
F3 = F2B Goldendoodle x F2B Goldendoodle
Multigen = any pairing of F3 x F3 or above

Here is the ALAA (Australian Labradoodle Association of America) grading scheme.

 Labradoodle F1: the first cross of a purebred Labrador Retriever to a purebred Poodle
 Labradoodle F1B: the backcross of a first cross (Labradoodle F1) to a purebred Poodle
 Multigenerational Labradoodle (Multigen): The offspring of a Labradoodle (F1B, F1, or Multigen)
bred to a Labradoodle (F1B, F1, or Multigen)
 Purebred Multigenerational Labradoodle (Multigen) OR Purebred Labradoodle: The offspring
of 5 or more consecutive breedings of a Multigen Labradoodle (or Purebred Labradoodle) to a
Multigen Labradoodle (or Purebred Labradoodle)
 Australian Labradoodle: Dogs with Poodle, Cocker Spaniel (American and/or English) and
Labrador Retriever Pedigrees.* This includes all currently registered Australian Labradoodles, as the
ALAA assumes these dogs with no proven lineage of three breeds are three-breed dogs. Current
dogs registered with the designation "Australian Labradoodle" will not be changed.
 Multigenerational Australian Labradoodle (Multigen): The offspring of an Australian Labradoodle
(Australian Labradoodle, Multigen or Purebred) bred to an Australian Labradoodle (Australian
Labradoodle, Multigen or Purebred)
 Purebred Multigenerational Australian Labradoodle (Multigen) OR Purebred Australian
Labradoodle: The offspring of 5 or more consecutive breedings of a Multigen Australian
Labradoodle (or Purebred Australian Labradoodle) to a Multigen Australian Labradoodle (or
Purebred Australian Labradoodle)

I hope I didn't just muddy the waters....it is all pretty confusing!

Here's a link that explains it further.
http://www.goldendoodles.com/faqs/generations.htm
thanks for all the info! I've been wondering about the term "Australian doodle" - thought it was a mix of perhaps Australian shepherd or Australian cattle dog and poodle. after checking out the website you included I now know where it comes from. I've obviously got so much to learn! Since I kind of "fell into" finding Wakefield I didn't do all the research and checking on the breeding history to come up with his "family" that I ordinarily would have when looking for a companion.

April is a goldendoodle breeder, and she did say the rankings were from GANA. The assumption would be that you would just substitute labradore for golden. That they would have the same grading scheme. Anyway that's my take on it.

Right, Amy. She also does have the Labradoodle info below the goldendoodle info. 

I don't think anyone here was confused.  April simply posted the grading scheme for both the Goldendoodle Association and the Australian Labradoodle Assn. We all know that a Labradoodle isn't the product of a Golden/Poodle breeding, lol. 

I'm curious as to how you happened to just join this site and immediately find and comment on a 6 year old discussion? Do you have a doodle? Are you looking for one? 

Janice,
I am very much aware that the ranking system is commonly used in science.  You are reading way too much into this.  This is a doodle site, therefore I replied using the words goldendoodle and labradoodle.  The person who asked the question, specifically asked about her labradoodle, which is why I listed the ALAA scheme as well.  There is no cover-up, scandal or misinformation here.  This post is so old I forgot it even existed! 

Janice, if you read the thread in order of the posts, as it is meant to be read, you will see that in the very first response to the person who asked the question. I posted as follows:

"If one parent is a purebred poodle and the other is a purebred lab, that's an F1. First generation. There is a great variation of coat type in the F1s, from very fluffy, curly, low-shedding dogs to those who look like purebred labs with whiskers. F1s are the most likely to shed of all the generations. You can check the F1 Group for photos to see the range.

F1B is the result of breeding an F1 to a purebred poodle (sometimes a purebred lab, but that's not the "correct" way to go.)
An F1B will usually have a curlier coat and have a much better chance of being non-shedding and allergy friendly.
I'll let someone else explain the higher gens."
There you go. "Simple, straight-forward information" specific to Labradoodles. The question was answered. 
April's post was responding to my last sentence about letting someone else explain the higher generations. 
Nobody dropped any ball, and the person who asked the question got educated.
And if anyone is being "unfair", it is you, with these absurd accusations. 
It really appears that you have some sort of agenda here.
It would behoove you as a brand new member to read the DK Guidelines. 

This question was adequately answered and needs no further debate. If anyone wants to start a new discussion related to this topic, feel free. This discussion is closed.
Really this seems to be much ado about nothing. No misinformation was intended and I don't think any was taken. I happen to own labradoodles but I know April Cliber is a well respected goldendoodle breeder and she has always been helpful in gopiving our members good information from a breeding perspective. Why anyone would bring up this old discussion is beyond me.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service