DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Anybody have a doodle that gets so excited he pees at 11 months? Is there anything I can do to help stop this? When we come inside we give him no eye contact, no touching until he is more calm. We have been consistently doing this but the odd time someone accidentally touches him he is like a hose lol.

Suggestions/stories?

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If he is just peeing out of excitement, it sounds like you are handling it the right way and he should eventually outgrow it.  If it's submissive urination, he can still overcome it, but it will take more work.

My childhood dog, a cockapoo, did this from the time she was almost 1 on.  We did the same thing you are doing and you have to tell everyone who comes trough your door to do the same.  There were times where is was going to happen regardless of you ignoring her, like coming back from a vacation or picking her up from the groomer, and there were times it would happen randomly.  She didn't have incontinence issues otherwise.  We just always anticipated it happening and always had a travel package of clorox wipes to take with us places, just in case we needed to do a quick clean up.

Haley did it but finally outgrew it. 

I would add that as you ignore your dog, take it outside immediately upon returning home. We had a dog that did this for quite a long time but eventually outgrew it. I've read that it is important to avoid putting your hand over their head (as when you might pet them or reach for their collar). It is a submission thing. We found reaching under the chin rather than going over the head helped, too.

Spud still does on occasion.  My husband's brothers are all over 6 feet gazillion inches, with deep voices, and command attention just by their presence.  We typically greet them outside. 

As he ages it becomes less frequent.

Excitement pee is a sign of submission and RESPECT in dog speak in some of these situations.  So, if  you get a pee, your dog is very polite  :)  Congratulations

I like your answer Joanne.

I was going to post this exact question. Bailey turned a year in Sept but is still having issues w/ this so I guess 1 year old isn't the "magic age". It doesn't happen w/ anyone in our immediate family but often when we have extended family/friends visit (even after she's just gone out to potty). She never has accidents in the house (other than from excitement) so it's not a potty training issue. Many times, her wagging tail sends pee everywhere! 

Bindi did this but we did wht you are doing and we also tried to let her out before people arrive. She has mostly outgrown it except when certain people come over so when they come over we have her greet them outside. Most of the time she is ok as long as we let her out before they come.

Vicki, I'm curious because I have a 5 month old female who does this.  Did Bailey stop the excitement peeing?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service