DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Looking for some advice or insights...

Finn has always been a velcro dog -- my shadow --and as sweet as his devotion is, I know it's not just love --there's some component of anxiety to it and that makes me sad for him, sometimes. I guess the correct term is hyper attachment or attachment dysfunction.  BUT Finn has been well socialized and easy to train. Always happy to meet and greet new people in all sorts of settings - as long as I'm within sight. When he sees some of his favorite people, we still have to remind him to keep 4 paws on the floor. He's never had typical separation anxiety --never been destructive when left alone. He loves going places, seems to enjoy his therapy work - especially with the kids (although the children he had become so attached to over the past 2 years moved on to middle school and he's got a new group this year). On the flip side, he's territorial and protective when he's home but once he knows you're welcome, he's back to wagging his tail. So I have no explanation for his strange behavior last week when I took him to visit family and friends in VA.

He knows everyone, knows the house etc.  He's been going there several times a year since puppyhood and always enjoys it. He doesn't feel he has to "watch over" their home (which I think must be a huge relief to him) and greets everyone who comes in or out.  But this time he was:

Irrationally fearful as soon as we walked in the house.

Looked from side to side, behind him, up at the ceiling as if something was coming after him.  This state of high anxiety/fear continued over 4 days.  It was awful to see him so frightened and not be able to help him. He fell twice on the stairs trying to get away from...what???

Would not come to anyone including me. In fact, when I knelt down on the floor and tried to talk to him, he barked and barked at me, but would not approach me.  We gave him his "space" and everyone put treats in their pockets that they would toss to him as he passed. I picked up a lot of treats.

Ran up to our room if anyone approached him. He seemed to feel safe on the bed.  He spent a lot of time there over 4 days. I was able to to calm him in the bedroom.

He barely ate (despite us cooking up ground beef and chicken) for him.  Nope, wouldn't touch it. Drank lots of water.

When he was with all of us, he avoided being touched by anyone, except once when he sought out my niece's husband.

I was about to take him to the emergency vet BUT he seemed to relax when we went for walks.  Once back in the house though, his fear increased again and he acted like ghosts were chasing him. We were all concerned. One guest asked if he was blind!  Someone else thought he was an abused rescue - not trying to be dramatic but that's how bizarre his behavior was.  

Got him home, called his vet, but once home he was back to normal (thankfully). His therapy session with the kids this week (which I thought about canceling) went ok. We just returned from some errands this morning and he greeted everyone happily -customers and rescue pups -- as we shopped for Christmas treats. Several people remarked how sweet, friendly and well behaved he was. I'm thinking you should have seen him a week ago !!!!!!  SO glad my boy is back because I don't know who that dog was in VA. The doc wants to run a panel of thyroid tests.  

Medical or behavioral?  Completely baffled.

Views: 1097

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update: The good news is Finn's general bloodwork and tests for thyroid and Addison's came back normal (yay!)   The bad news: still no explanation for his behavior.  The vet says that sometimes dogs that are mildly anxious find themselves in a situation that suddenly triggers a full blown panic attack and you may never be able to identify the trigger.  She politely ignored our  my suggestion of ghosts. She's suggested Prozac and while I believe these meds can be a tremendous help for some dogs,I'm reluctant to put Finn on meds when he's happy guy with other dogs and people 95% of the time. It's not 100%, but he's a dog :) It seems to me the potential side effects (restlessness, insomnia, or lethargy) might make the cure worse than the problem - and what if it was just environmental????  So we're going to add more behavioral work, more exercise…and have agreed to re-evaluate in a few months.  I took him to the groomer today and one doodle in a pen was digging his way to China, another lovely doodle came in, fearstruck when she saw me (maybe it's me lol), and a little poodle cross came in barking nonstop.  Finn was a solid trouper through it all - although he did try to counter surf Jaqui's desk but I rescued her smartphone before I had to buy her a new one. There will be more people in and out over the holidays.  That's stressing ME a bit but it will be interesting to see how he does, since things are usually pretty quiet quiet on the home front.  We're also trying out the Adaptil collar.      

I am glad to hear the good news. For the most part antidepressants nowadays have few side effects but I agree that Finn's troubles may not warrant the meds.

Thanks F - good to know.

That's great news about the test results! Well, it's kind of back to square one I guess. I think you have a good plan going forward though. Thanks for the update! 

Yep, I'm pretty happy to know he's just crazy not sick :))  Seriously, thank you :) I love my boy.

I'm glad to hear that this is not a physical problem.  The behavioral work sounds like a great idea.  I would definitely try that first.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming for Murphy when the house is full of company...I put him in our room with a gate and tell everyone to give him space.  We try to give him a good walk or game of fetch and then he goes in and naps.  He'll wake up and then come and see everyone, but he definitely needs his quiet time to avoid getting overly nervous.

Sounds like a plan.  Thank you Jane.

Great news about the blood work. I say it was a ghost:). Seriously I think you plan for moving forward is a good one.

Seems the ghost has a cheering section :) Thanks DJ.

Glad to hear that Finn's test results were normal- that had to be a relief! You mentioned he is back to what you consider his normal self now that he is back home so I can see why it is so baffling.  Could it have been the vibes coming off the house guest - or possibly feeding off your energy if your not comfortable? Charlie is very in-tune to people who are fearful of dogs, or that really do not care for dogs one way or the other.  He will not approach them. He watches them from his bed, or will sit by me and stare at them.  Beau, of course, goes over and gives them a high five, as if to say "you really do like me don't you"! I taught Charlie to shake hands with people, Beau just cannot get it - he does a downward dog yoga pose and stretches his right front leg out and sets it on your knee!  Really hilarious, unless of course you are afraid of dogs! 

Thanks Linda. Finn and Charlie sound very much alike.  Maybe it was just too many vibes everywhere at once. The house is a large open floor plan and although none of us noticed, even ordinary sounds might have set him off because he just couldn't keep track of all of the noises at once.  Just happy he's ok.  I love my boy but he's an over thinker.  If I ever look for a second doodle I think I will specify an under thinker with lack of an overly-active imagination :)   You have to get a picture of Beau doing his downward facing dog greeting.  That sounds so charming and hilarious. 

Yes, Charlie is definitely an overthinker! I do need to take a photo or video of Beau doing this.  All the little old bridge ladies that come over think he is hilarious.  He is very gentle when doing the "high five"!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service