DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

At about 10 months old, our goldendoodle Max became very badly matted. In the places I removed the mats, his coat which was about 5 inches long before was much shorter and even a much lighter color. It's taking me weeks of brushing and removing mats every day to get half of his body mat-free. Is this his puupy coat that I'm taking out? I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong.

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

YES YES YES. Next question? hmmm
So, it's normal for him to look a little bit like two different dogs until I get all the puppy coat out? I'm using a dematter with 9 blades and then using combs and a slicker to brush him after geting rid of the mats. How long will it take for him to look normal again? Poor little guy just looks strange right now.
I can only talk from my experience with Ned and I will be glad to share what I know. Have you joined the grooming group. There are tons of discussions and advice.
It seems that some dogs mat a little, some a lot and some forever. Some got through this stage quickly and some take forever. Ned is an Australian labradoodle but I don't think it matters. He began matting at about 6 months. We take him to a groomer regularly and she has told me that he is about done with the puppy coat - oh yea, did I mention that he will be two this month! I think he must be like my children losing baby teeth - really really slower than the average.
Seriously, the matting begins overnight. You have to be very diligent about brushing and COMBING and make sure you get down to the skin to get all of the tangles and mats. The products I use are a high quality flexible slicker brush (LesPouchs, MGT brands) and a steel comb with graduated teeth that I got from my groomer. I also have an inexpensive pair of dull tipped nail scissors that I use to slice through mats. I rarely cut the mats out but sliced through them sideways several times then brushed. I use Cowboy Magic on specific mats and/or sprayed with The Original Horse Mane and Tail Detangler. You put the silicon detangling products on and let them sit a bit and do their magic before working the mat out. I would be cautious about using a de-matter too much because you are damaging the coat. A damaged coat tangles even more! When Ned was at the height of his matting, we cut him down shorter but we didn't shave him. He has a really high maintenance coat, and not all doods do. Here is a picture of him with his shortest coat length.

And here is what Ned looks like now. Their adult coat is different than the puppy coat. It can be curlier, straighter, coarser, finer etc. Ned's is not as soft and cottony. His coat is really super thick.

He's so adorable. I can't believe his coat changed that much - even the color changed.
Wow, look at the new Ned. Very handsome as always but surely different. Coat changes continue with my two also.
I have sent a request to join the grooming group and haven't received a reply yet but I have read a lot of the messages which have been very helpful. I've done as much work on him as I can and I'm taking him to the groomer this week. Hopefuly she can do something with him to help us get through this phase gracefully. I'm very surprised at how little some groomers know about my goldendoodle's coat. I get as many opinions as groomers I talk to. Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with this.
Silly girl, did you go to the grooming group and click on that spot where it says you have to be a member to participate in the discussions? If you did then you are a member. That is all you have to do. If you are not getting e-mail notifications, you need to go to your profile settings and make sure that you checked the boxes you wanted as to notifications on your home e-mail.
If you are still having a problem getting on to the grooming group, let me know - go to my page and leave a post.
Ok, I'll check the group again.Thanks!
Ok, looks like I'm in the group now. Thanks for the help.
You are welcome. Be sure to check your profile settings to make sure you get contacted on your home e-mail.
Sorry not to respond to the color thing. Ned has faded but but some of that is due to the difference in coat length and some due to the difference in adult coat color, and some due to the difference in the pictures. These are also Ned. Puppy:

and another one taken the same week as the other adult one I posted previously:

Such cute pictures Nancy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service