DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I know there’s been a lot of discussions on this forum over the years regarding oral flea and tick medication. Today, the FDA came out with their own warning. Most of the information has already been out there:

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm62093...

Our vet still stands by Nexgard and Interceptor Plus, which we give our 8-month-year-old each month. He hasn't had any adverse effects.

We all need to make own decisions based on available research and information, but I’m wondering what other owners are using/are there any new experiences or thoughts to share?

Views: 1039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of this makes me crazy.  I'm sitting here on 2 boxes of Bravecto that I bought back in the Spring just in case I had a tick issue.  I don't normally have any problems with them here, but it was supposed to be a bad year because of the mild winter.  I have not used them because I haven't had any problem.  However, we are getting ready to go to FL so I was planning to take them because I did have a problem there once when we went hiking in a State Park with the girls.  I have used it in the past on both girls I think one or two times with no issues.  We use Advantage multi on both girls as it covers everything (all different types of worms) except the ticks.  Our Vet says the Frontline doesn't work here,  plus I have to be careful that what I use for Lucy isn't flavored because of her allergies.  

I ordered unflavored, non-chewable Heartgard tablets for JD because he couldn;t have the chewables, either. They are all flavored with either beef or pork, neither of which he could tolerate. But Frontline is a topical, so not flavored anyway, lol. 

Frontline Plus changed its packaging and it drove me nuts. I couldn't get the stupid things open and I complained to the vet. She suggested Nexgard and it was SO much easier to give the pill than doing the liquid stuff. We have had no problems since starting Nexgard with fleas or ticks. Vern has had elevated liver enzymes and I wonder now if there is any correlation. I guess I need to call the vet.

I bought two full boxes (a years worth) of Interceptor Plus in August for heartworm so I’m stuck with that for now. I called my regular vet and got a vet tech and I asked about a topical flea med complimentary to the Interceptor Plus. She recommended Frontline Plus for our area. I’ve never used a topical, but I’m going to give it a try. I never liked giving my girl a pesticide pill to ingest so this FDA warning is all I need to make the switch. A local friend uses it on her 70 pound GoldenDoodle and it works great. Hope I can get the packets open! 

I was trying to remember why i didn’t go with with Heartgard for heartworm and I now recall that they made my young pup vomit and she couldn’t keep it down. So far so good with Interceptor Plus. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service