DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just got my puppy 2 days ago. She is 15 weeks old. How much and how often should I be feeding her?

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nobody can tell you how much you should be feeding her, because every food is different in terms of calories per cup, so you feed more of some foods than others. The feeding amount also depends on the weight of the puppy and her expected weight as an adult. All commercial foods have feeding guidelines on the package. I would also hope your breeder gave you some information on how how much & how often the pup was being fed prior to going home. 

Puppies are typically fed 3 times per day until they are between 4 and 6 months old, at which time you switch to twice a day.

First thing I would do is get a good quality dog food.  There is a section on this site dedicated to recommend foods.  Have a look at that and then go with the daily recommended amounts on the package.  It will be based on weight, not age.  

Rice is a grain, lol. 

It's important to stick with whatever the breeder was feeding for a couple of weeks. Then check the Food Groups' recommended brands list: http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/thefoodgroup/forum/topics/recomme...

Feed Raw...you'll be happy you did.

Not everyone can feed a raw diet, nor should everyone. There are many variables involved and frankly it requires research to make such a decision.

Research is your friend - thank heaven for DK, more friends!

She is a cutie pie, love the shaggy hair.  Frankly at this point you should talk to your breeder about how she was fed prior to you getting her, but I certainly have no rebuttle for the advice here - take the couple of weeks to research what you want to feed her long term, then switch gradually.  I think for a puppy the transition should be done in very small amounts to avoid tummy trouble, aka loose stools.   Take the time to dig and consider all points and many of us have had to go trial and error with some foods. This is where the individuality comes into play on the digestive front.

Rice is a grain - it's just filler - often very expensive and highly unneccesary filler.  the Food Group or the Puppy Group has gobs of information.  There are excellent posts regarding costs, content, and so on.  That being said, even two dogs from the same litter may eat more or less than one another - but yes, at that age three times a day for a bit - then twice. A guideline is just that, a guide - not a directive.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service