DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Just got the call .....Skip Eckhart's appeal was denied for the last time this morning and at 12:00 this afternoon HSUS was there with the Bureau Of Dog Law Enforcement, Emmaus law enforcement, volunteers, trucks, triage tents and a court order to seize dogs........ As I type, they are in the process of seizing 250 dogs .....Almost Heaven is out of business for good in PA!....The dogs are being treated in an emergency shelter located at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg and will be with various rescue organizations in the area to be placed for adoption. Some will be available for adoption within the next week.........Please keep in mind that whille yes justice is finally served, this does not prevent Eckhart from relocating to another state,applying for a USDA licence and starting all over again.....Check out the news tonight and tomorrow morning for details.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Just Found this...Bill White is all over it..Can't wait to hear his commentary......

"IT"S ALL OVER"

Almost Heaven dog kennel is shut down, as of today. Details to follow; I'm on my way out there now.

Meanwhile, we’ll have another Live Chat right here at noon Thursday. I was criticized last time for instigating an extended discussion of Eddie Murphy’s career as a film star, so let’s stick to serious topics, such as the Phillies and what’s up with Adam Lambert.

Just kidding, sort of. We have Almost Heaven, the state budget mess, more shenanigans in the Bethlehem Area School District, the cone of silence over the state investigation of the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, Allentown’s $9 million budget deficit and plenty more. So jump in at noon and steer us in an interesting direction.

Heavenly

I just returned from Almost Heaven dog kennel in Upper Milford Township. What a treat to see dogs being carried out of that hellhole to new lives.

As I said very briefly earlier today, the state Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement went in today with a team from the Humane Society of the United States and began removing all but 25 of owner Derbe "Skip" Eckhart's dogs. Anyone with more than 25 dogs must have a kennel license in Pennsylvania, and Eckhart was denied a 2009 license.

He has been appealing that decision, and in the meantime was able to continue to sell dogs. But he missed the deadline for his final appeal, and state Commonwealth Court denied his attempt to stop Dog Law from shutting him down.

Dog Law spokesman Chris Ryder told me Eckhart wasn't there when the group arrived, but showed up afterward. He gets to pick which lucky dogs he gets to keep.

The rest will be transported to the Farm Show complex in Harrisburg, where they'll be evaluated, stabilized and released to rescue organizations for adoption. When I left, a couple of loads of dogs already were headed to Harrisburg, and a huge trailer still was being filled. Ryder said inspectors will check other buildings in the Almost Heaven complex, including Eckhart's home, once the kennel is cleared out, just to make sure no extra dogs are stashed away.

It's a great day for anyone who loves dogs and who hates to see them being exploited, and it makes me particularly happy because I've been writing about Skip's exploits for seven years. I'll be happy to finally cross him off my list of topics.

I'll have much to say about this in my column Thursday.
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOOHOO! And my heart breaks for those 25 left behind with him!
I can't see how he should be allowed to keep 25 dogs once the inspectors see the living conditions. Surely there has to be a law that would allow immediate removal of ALL animals in a situation like this.
I feel so bad for the 'chosen' 25, they desereved a new leash on life too...Skip will probably pack them up and sart all over in a nearby state :(((
Sadly, that's true.
We have inside information that certainly points in that direction.....We have a pretty good idea about where he is going and have been keeping authorities informed all along......Unfortunately we walk a fine line there as we want to maintain cetain relationships that facilitate our abilities to continue to rescue dogs.......I call it the "rescue dance".....and it's unfortunate that sometimes you have to "dance with the devil" to get things accomplished....
My dear friend... you dance very well! Because of you and people like you who give more than their time and share, work is done and more dogs were saved and will be save too in the future.

Most of the people do not realize the time, money and efforts that is involve in saving just one dog... imagine 300!

I do too feel so sorry for those poor 25 that he personally choose to ' we all know that' start another puppy mill in another state. But we all have to be so thankful for all the rest of dogs who where save and will have a second chance in life... Thank you Jacquie, Thank you everyone who was involve in that.
What great news!
This just in from DRRC partner and PSPCA Rescue Director Jodi Goldberg..Thanks Jodi!

06-23-09 -- Approximately 300 Dogs Rescued from Allentown Puppy Mill

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Nearly 300 dogs have a new "leash" on life thanks to the diligent efforts of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and The Humane Society of the United States, who came together to rescue the animals from horrific conditions at a Lehigh County puppy mill.

"These animals were subjected to years of constant confinement and denied loving human care and socialization. The Humane Society of the United States is grateful to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture for enforcing the commonwealth's Dog Law and coming to the aid of man's best friend," said Sarah Speed, Pennsylvania state director for The HSUS.

The HSUS was called in by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement to assist with this case. The Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement investigated the Almost Heaven kennels, and took permanent custody of all of the dogs due to the owner's failure to appeal his recent license delisting. Custody of the animals will be transferred to The HSUS once the dogs leave the property. The HSUS is providing animal handling assistance and overseeing sheltering and transport of the rescued animals.

When rescuers arrived at Almost Heaven they found a disturbing scene. The dogs, mainly small breeds and designer mixes, were being housed in a variety of small pens, wire crates and kennels throughout the property. Responders found typical puppy mill conditions; many of the dogs were suffering from skin and eye infections as well as other medical ailments. It is likely that many of these animals had never known life outside their cramped enclosures.

Rescuers are working to remove all of the animals and transport them to a nearby emergency shelter set up by The HSUS. Once at the shelter the dogs will be checked by a team of veterinarians and given any necessary immediate medical care. The HSUS and local volunteers will care for the animals while they recover at their temporary home. The dogs will soon be transported to rescue groups and humane societies throughout the region, where they will be made available for adoption.

This operation is made possible in part from funding provided to The HSUS by the Kenneth and Lillian Wilde Foundation, who created the Wilde Puppy Mill Task Force to rescue animals from abusive puppy mills.

The emergency shelter is located at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg. Representatives from The HSUS and the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture will be available for interview at the emergency shelter after all of the dogs have been transported.

Give Hope to the Mill Dogs
BOYCOTT STORES THAT SELL PUPPIES
North Penn Puppy Mill Watch
Visit Us Online: nppmwatch.com
Just what we have been hoping and praying for. I cannot believe he was allowed to keep any dogs.
The city of Emmaus will have to determine what he can keep now...in Allentown, and Bethlehem which some parts are Lehigh County which also Eckhart falls under in Milford Twsp, and also in Upper Bucks County... you are only allowed to have 5 dogs, that is the limit without having to apply for a Kennel license, so this 25 dog rule may not even apply.....
OH, THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service