DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well Seymour had a very good night's sleep in our bed.  He doesn't seem to like his crate.  We will try crating him today when we are out for my son's birthday party.

One question: How do you handle the puppy nipping?  When he gets excited he has a tendency to nip.  I just want to make sure I am handling it the right way.

Views: 251

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Crate training is an excellent tool when used correctly, how many hours will you be out of the house today at your son's birthday party?

About 2 hours

That is about the maximum I would leave him in his crate today. It still may be difficult for him, but it sounds like you have no choice. Give him a lot of exercise and try to tire him out before you go if you can. Put some yummy treats in his crate before you go and don't make a big deal when you arrive home, best to almost ignore him for a few minutes and then open his crate and immediately take him outside to potty. When you return back from potty, I would recommend putting him directly back in the crate for a little while, but stay close by . Never remove him from his crate when he is whining but rather wait till he calms down and then open the door to his crate. I hope this helps

Adorable.  Wow, day one and the nipping question.  Every time I hear people all excited to go get their puppy I have to chuckle and wonder to myself if they are ready for the nipping, lol.  Good news is it will most like go away when the baby teeth come out (4-6 months).  The best thing is to have a toy handy and if he starts to nip just put the toy in his mouth and tell him no bite.  You are going to have to teach the kids not to run from him cause he is just going to run and bite even more.  He will think they are playing.  They say teach them "be a tree" ... stop and cross their arms across their chest!  If they aren't engaging he will stop.    It is the only way he knows how to play.  Just keep those toys handy.  Keep things for him to safely chew on.  Now for the crate training ... this is something that is important to me.  Just yesterday I made these same comments on FB because someone has a dog with a torn CCL that needs to rehab, crated, for 8 weeks.  Now, this dog wasn't crate trained so he hates this even more.  Even if you don't intend to use the crate it is important that they learn to love their crate because there are times where they have to be crated.  Like the groomers or the VET if they have to spend the night.  What you need to do is create an environment that they enjoy.  It will become his safe place, his den.  Put two chairs right by your bedside.  Place the crate on top of the chairs so you can just reach over and comfort him if he wimpers.  When you tell him its bedtime place him in the crate and give him a few 5 or 6 pieces of his kibble or a real yummy treat. Turn off the lights and go to bed.  just stick you fingers in there to comfort him if needed until he goes to sleep.  If he wimpers in the night, do the same.  If he doesn't stop, quietly take him out to potty, turning on as few lights as possible.  Don't engage in any play or anything, just out to potty and right back into the crate.  If you don't have a snuggle puppy (warming pack and heatbeat) to simulate mother then that will help as well.    Some puppies are easier than others, but I personally feel it is important to get them to learn to love their crate.  Best of luck.  Look forward to more pictures and watching him grow up.

I think this is such good advice.  We crate trained and used it until they were old enough to be trusted.  Even though we don't use the crate now, because they got used to it as puppies they are fine when crated at the Vet or when they are boarded at Daycare. 

We have him in his crate now while we are showering.  He is crying and whining so we put on the TV for him (Paw Patrol) to see if he starts settling down.  We know crate training is good.  And we want to get him used to it. 

I personally feel that crate training is essential however Others May disagree. He will definitely get used to it, the more important part is that everyone in your household knows the philosophy and rules and strictly abide by them. YouTube is also a great resource for crate training techniques. You will be doing your family and your loving puppy a great service by properly crate training your new family member. Good luck! https://youtu.be/ef0qCIBFivs

I crate trained Quincy and he stayed in while I was at work until around 2 or until I could trust him.  I got rid of it because it's so big and ugly. Well now we have Frankie who came to us at 8 months and was crated.  He was not as happy as Qincy used to be going in when we were leaving for work.  But eventually he fell for the same trick I used on Quincy- a low fat cream cheese and kibble kong!  usually two!.  Matter of fact, Quincy still gets them as a signal we are leaving and when I hold them up and walk toward Frankie's crate, Quincy usually runs in the crate!  Fun time when you are trying to leave for work-getting Quincy out and Frankie in.  But it works.  

Crates keep them safe, keep your house safe and gives them their own place.  Good luck with your cutie! 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service