DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hiya, friends!

I am a first-time puppy mama hoping to connect with some fellow Doodle lovers! My baby Teddy is a 5 month old F1 goldendoodle and we brought him home on his 7 week birthday. We (my long-term boyfriend, Richie, and I) live in Austin, TX--we moved here last year from Boston for my IT job. We also have an 11 year-old cat named Kitty who came across the country with us. She is not so fond of Teddy...but he just loves her! It's very sweet. :)

I decided on a goldendoodle mainly because my dog allergies are pretty severe--I probably shouldn't own a dog at all, but I couldn't imagine my life without one in it much longer. I didn't grow up with a dog (I actually was quite afraid of them when I was a kid), but my parents finally got a dog (older, not a puppy)--we believe she is a cockapoo with a mix of something else, too--when I was a sophomore in high school and I just fell in love with having one around. We also had 2 incredible, sweet goldens on our street who shed like mad but I just adored them and wanted one something awful. But getting a dog when I was 16 was what really showed me just how allergic I really was to them. :( (I begged my parents to keep her anyway--but boy oh boy was I allergic!)

After I moved out, and especially after moving across the country and away from my mom's doggy, I pined away for having a dog around, even though these dogs all made me wheeze and cough and sneeze something awful. But let me tell you, dogs are *everywhere* in Austin. I really couldn't go anywhere without seeing someone walking their dog, and it was starting to make me pretty sad and lonely, especially because I figured that it wouldn't be possible to get one because of my allergies. But then a doggy discussion broke out at the office early this year and someone mentioned their labradoodle, I was like, "What the heck is that?" so I googled it and ohhh boy did I fall in love with that adorable happy face! Google said something like, "People also search for: 'goldendoodle'" and then I thought that a goldendoodle would be just perfect for me given my adoration for the sweet nature of the golden. So my research began, and then I found my Teddy's litter, and the rest is history. :)

Anyway, sorry for the novel!

I intended on joining this forum the week that I got him... however, I did as much research as I possibly could to prepare for bringing home my very first puppy, and nothing really could have prepared me for just how energetic (and messy!) these little guys could be! Goodness was I tired! He was quite the handful, but every second has been worth it--even the lost sleep and the gallons of floor cleaner that I have gone through. :D

He's such a sweetheart, so well-behaved and getting better every day, and he just loves to snuggle. And, he hasn't had an accident in weeks (not sure how long you can be accident-free before saying that they are house-trained, but he is doing GREAT!). He goes to daycare 3-4 times a week and they always let me know how excited and happy and friendly he is. He has never exhibited any signs of aggression at all and I hope that stays true, because I really could not have dreamed of a nicer, sweeter pup.

Anyway, I will quit gushing--just wanted to drop by and say Hello and I hope to get to know a lot of you as the months and years progress! Thanks for listening!

Here are a few pictures! As you can see, he is growing like a weed!

Views: 384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tracie, thanks! It is fun to look at all the wonderful pictures here. There are some very
talented people with a camera here on DK also. ( mine are just for fun). Check out the photography
group....
Btw, we'll be hoping to see your pictures now too ;-)

What a cutie...

Thank you :D Yours, too!

He is just adorable! Welcome!

Thank you very much! Your babies are too cute... love the profile pic!

Welcome!  Teddy really is adorable.  How are your allergies in relation to him?

Hi Nancy! Thanks a lot. My allergies are touch and go. In the beginning, they were pretty bad. Just going to pick him out I was sneezing and got kind of wheezy and thought to myself, "Oh no, this is going to be bad, isn't it?" but I think that was because he lived with his large golden retriever dad and they are pretty bad on the allergies. It has definitely gotten better, especially with the loratadine that I take every day. I do wake up wheezing most mornings (he isn't allowed in the bedroom but the dander is still in the air, I guess--I am also allergic to cats and have one; I'm probably a doctor's worst nightmare :D), but it calms down as the day progresses. When my mom's dog used to give me kisses, and when most dogs lick me, I break out into hives. But he hasn't really done that to me very much--thank goodness, because I just love kisses! Really though, it's not been too bad overall. I don't mind living with a little wheeze. :)

Awww he is super cute...you will get so much love from him and you will not be able to stop looking at him and saying how cute he is...everyone one will say how cute he is...it will be so much fun!

Yay, that perfectly describes our life already! LOL. My heart melted and almost hurt when I was pulling up photo after photo of doodles before I picked him up and took him home. Now that he's here I just sit there and stare at his little face and I can't believe he's mine! I just adore him. So happy to have him in my life!

Oh yes, looks like a typical goldendoodle and they do grow extremely fast.  Enjoy these days because they will be over too soon.  Welcome to DoodleKisses - the best website around for doodle lovers everywhere.  Join a few groups that speak to your interests and hop right in.

Thank you, Lynda! It is a bit overwhelming but that is good advice--gotta just jump right in! You're totally right about growing fast and needing to enjoy it. I didn't even realize how big he had gotten until one day I was looking at his puppy photos and I thought, "Holy CRAP!" So probably before I know it, he will be 70 pounds of cute knocking me over!

What a cutie. Welcome and enjoy your pup.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service