DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Our gorgeous little man was away with a dog sitter over the weekend and when we got him back on Tuesday I noticed some fleas crawling around on him. 

Took him straight to the vet who confirmed it was fleas and they immediately gave him a Nexguard which should kill the fleas (although it's been 8 hours and I'm still seeing live ones on him despite being told they'll be killed off within 2 hours?)

My main concern now is firstly, making sure all the fleas are killed from his body but also preventing them from spreading in the apartment.

Are there any safe sprays that anyone would recommend we use on the carpets etc? I have washed all sheets, clothing, towels, curtains and will continue to vacuum rigorously for the next 3 months but wondered if anyone knew of any good sprays that are safe for pregnant women to use in the home?

Thanks! 

Views: 376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it were me, I think I would give him a bath at this point. I'm not sure if he would need any sort of flea shampoo, but soap and water couldn't hurt.

Sorry about the bed bug thing. I don't think that bed bugs live on dogs. I think they just live in bedding and come out and bite you in the middle of the night. Nasty little things, but I don't think they would have come home on the dog. 

Ah phew thank you! That's a good idea re the bath, I think I need to get rid of any of the (hopefully) dead bugs from the meds.

Thank you! 

When my dog had fleas, both she and my cat were given flea baths at the vet's office. 

The dead bugs are not the problem, lol. They can't reproduce. It's the eggs and larva that cause the ongoing problems.

Your vet knows a flea from a bedbug, trust me on that. They are not bedbugs.
When vacuuming, you must dispose of the bags immediately. (And yes, it's expensive to waste bags like that, but necessary.) If you have a bagless vacuum, put borax in the canister. You can buy borax in the laundry detergent aisle. Be sure to vacuum your sofas, too, anywhere the dog has been and especially where he sleeps. Wash all bedding in hot water.
If you wear white socks while vacuuming, you'll know if there are any fleas, because you'll see them jump onto your feet. Gross I know, but a good way to check. 

That sock thing is horrifying lol.

My previous dog (Bichon Frise growing up) got fleas once and they were easy to spot because her hair was white.. my mom scoured the house and washed everything on HOT and shampooed the carpets.

Poor thing was 16-17 years old at the time too, she didn't need that!

My poor Poodle was 14 and a half when she got fleas. Prior to that I'd had dogs for 27 years, never used flea preventatives, and never had a problem. Goes to show you how much it's worth when you hear these "I refuse to put poison on my dogs" people telling you about the "natural" products they use or the raw diets they feed, and how their dogs never get fleas. Well, I used nothing for 27 years, and my dogs never got fleas either....until they did. :( 

The vibrations from the vacuuming makes them emerge from the larval state. 

I seriously need a drink after this thread.

haha! same!

Oh no....bed bugs conversation......now I am freaking out because we have to go to a wedding this weekend and stay in a motel.  I had just about gotten over my horrible fear of bed bugs, and now it is in my head again!  I will not sleep until I get home.....or maybe I will sleep in my car! LOL

Every time I get into a hotel room before I set anything down on the bed I look under all the sheets, between and under the mattresses.. paranoid maybe and not foolproof but it makes me feel much better :p

Exactly what do you look for??

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service