DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone!

I've been on DK for a year or so now, just reading and learning info, for whenever the time would come for us to get a puppy. Well, I'm so happy that that time is here!! We will be getting our puppy in a little less than 3 weeks and I'm ecstatic! I've always wanted a dog, an it's finally happening! She is the sweetest little thing- a petite goldendoodle!

Now that it's finally happening though, I'm nervous about getting everything ready for her, and about what all we should get supplies wise, and about insurance.  I feel like the more research I do, the more information that goes into the bucket, but makes it all the more harder to actually make a decision lol.

We will get a basic training crate and a few toys with a Tell Bell from the breeder, but what else would be a good idea to get? Thank you!

Views: 244

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maya is a doll!  Does the breeder send home a little blanket with Maya's mom's scent on it.  I do think it is helpful the first few nights, but not all breeders do it.  If you haven't already joined the Puppy Madness group - please do as there is a ton of info to be consumed.  Don't for get a gentle brush, so you can start getting your puppy used to be brushed frequently.  The puppy coat is relatively easy to manage, but as you know when the adult coat starts to come in-you get to brush daily!! LOL  Looking forward to seeing homecoming photos of the cutie!

Thanks guys! When we went to visit to check for my husband's allergies, the breeder asked us for an extra tshirt that she could put in her crate, so she will used to our smell- i literaly took a tshirt off my back(layers) and gave it to her LOL.

@ Linda, I need to start buying all the essential stuff- brushes, bed, toys, etc.  I think Maya should have a wavy coat based on how she looks now- is that harder to maintain than a curly coat?

Curly coats are the most difficult to care for.  The brush you use right now is more for getting her used to brushing, so go cheap now.  When she gets a bit older and you can see what kind of coat she has, that is the time to choose a quality brush.  My favorite is the Activet/ LesPoochs - if you want one of those now - choose a single wide green.  It will last for years.  A steel comb or one with rotating times is also a must.  My favorite is the Untangler.  I would also purchase Cowboy Magic or Horse Mane 'N Tail Detangler for mats.

I agree with Nancy's comment below about curly coats and/or wooly coats.  IMO the straight fleece is the easier coat to maintain.  Our parti doodle Beau seldom gets any little mats.  I think the easier coat to maintain is the F1 doodle that sheds (LOL), but I have never had a dog that sheds.  When I brought Charlie home I quickly purchased the comb with rotating tines and a small Conair brush with a small head (2" x 1") the tines are rubbery plastic.  I still use this little brush on their faces and under the chin. About 4 months later, I bought my first Les Pooches brush (a single yellow) the breeder suggested for puppies.  By the time Charlie was 9 months old I had bought a double red Les Pooches brush for the body. Once you get your puppy home, it is very important to get it used to being handled.  Check its ears gently, touch the feet and just check it out in general.  I started using a small plastic finger toothbrush on their teeth just to get them used to the idea.  I think it best to do brushing and handling with they are tired and resting, and just for a short time initially.  Now, as adults, when I tell one of them - lets brush your hair, he jumps up on the footstool and lays down to be brushed.  They really like being brushed.  Looking forward to seeing photos o your homecoming.  A very exciting time! Yikes, sorry that photo is so big! Haha

OMD! She's precious! Congrats!

What a beauty! Congratulations!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service