DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been seriously considering getting a goldendoodle as a new member of our family. I have wanted a dog my whole life, and now that dream may be coming true! My only worry is that my husband has a mild allergy to dogs, which is one of the reasons we have been looking at goldendoodles(besides how adorable they are :) ). We are looking at a F1B petite goldendoodle. 

For those of you with dog allergies, how have your reactions been to goldendoodles, and do you own one? My husband has had an allergy test done for dog dander, and his IgE is pretty low(0.35 I believe). We are also going this weekend to spend some time with the puppy, even though we have already done a T-shirt allergy test.  We have to decide by this weekend, as there are many people waiting for this gorgeous girl!

Thanks!

Views: 721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have a goldendoodle but I do have dog allergies. I recently visited 2 standard size F1 goldendoodles. I did have a mild reaction. Sneezy, scratchy throat. Interestingly I lived with a lab with out really any issue for 13 years. I really think has to do with the specific dog. People sure do seem to generally tolerate hypoallergenic dogs better though. Is your husband willing to take Zyrtec if needed?

Yeah, he already has to take Claritin and Flonase daily for other seasonal allergies anyway. That's kind of the reaction he had as well. Itchy nose, and a little scratchy throat as well. This is why we are going to visit the breeder this weekend to see how he reacts to the puppy directly. We know the tshirt test was a secondary source for allergens, and we want to be sure when we decide!

I have pretty severe allergies, which is why we opted for an F1B (standard size) Goldendoodle. WE've had Zoe for 2.5 years now, I have no issues with her at all - no dander no itching or sneezing, and she's a non-shedder. Interstingly enough *she* has allergies and we have to give her a Claratin a day :-)

Thank you. Not my thread but interested how you made the decision to move forward with severe allergies?

Yes, I would love to know as well! Kelly, how did you decide to go forward, knowing that there is a chance the puppy coat would change and the possibility of more allergies...? Why a goldendoodle, and not a purebred Poodle, as Karen suggested? Thanks!

Here's a good article for you: http://www.doodletrust.com/education/doodle-alergy-myth

From the article:

"You may also be ok with a Doodle puppy as tiny puppies don’t shed, but when the coat changes in adulthood, he could cause a life-threatening allergic reaction. Obviously, this would be tragic for you and tragic for the puppy you now love, who will need a new home.

We cannot stress strongly enough that allergy testing with puppies is futile."

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for the link, it is very helpful! In this scenario, what would you recommend then? If we can't test for allergies while the puppy is still young, and since each dog is different re:allergens, what would the recommended next step be?

The protein that causes dog allergy symptoms is called KNF1, and it is present in varying levels in different dogs. Those dogs that are considered "allergy-friendly", such as purebred Poodles, consistently have very low levels of the KNF1 protein. With a mixed breed, you can never know, especially with puppies.

There's also the problem with dogs bringing other air-borne allergens such as pollen into your home on their coats. Very few people are allergic to only one thing, and many people who have dog allergies also have pollen allergies; a dog will exacerbate both. 

I personally would not risk it, but if you must get a dog, it's far safer to stick with those breeds known to consistently be allergy friendly, such as purebred Poodles and Schnauzers. Both are fabulous pets. And if you're already considering an F1B, which is 75% Poodle anyway, might as well be safe and go 100%, lol. 

Just saw that Karen responded to you with this same information. :-}  If allergies are a concern, you need to be aware that there is truly not a hypoallergenic dog breed, however 'non-shedding' dogs tend to be more allergy friendly. Here is a link to the most allergy friendly breeds: http://www.justdogbreeds.com/low-shedding-dog-breeds.html
     The problem is that as mixed breed dogs, every Goldendoodle or Labradoodle is different, so the fact that one does or doesn't affect allergies doesn't mean that another one will affect in the same way. The protein that causes dog allergies is called KNF1, and it's present in varying amounts in individual dogs. With mixed breeds, even within the same litter, you can have wide variations, and there is no way to know that until the dog has his adult coat. http://doodlerescue.org/forum/topics/the-truth-about-dog-allergies-...
Here is an article about determining allergy levels with a particular doodle. http://doodlerescue.org/group/isadoodleforyou/forum/topics/the-alle...  No one should make a guarantee that a doodle is or will be hypoallergenic - this is marketing hype.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service